ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am living in a Z Car wasteland. After getting a cooling fan and putting it on this weekend I installed the new battery and wow the smoke off the alternator was really pretty. I know that when we work on our Z's there are lots of things that need to be done so I am just fishing for words of encouragement as I tackle this project. It would be nice if I had some fellow Z lovers in the area but so far I have found none so I am coming to the well of knowledge and sympathy that is ZCAR.com.
I know that I will need to replace the alternator, fusible link that fried and maybe the starter, is there anything else I may need to look for? I have scanned the Haynes electical diagram into my computer so I can blow it up to see it, any other advice?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jon

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
What year? I may have an FSM for it. A ZX? Im assuming your alternator has an internal VR?

'Never, Never, Never, Never Give In.' Winston Churchill

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Could be just a rusty alternator that fried when you tried to resurect it?
You could try to just swap it out out first. Do you have the full history on the car (like what stopped it running in the first place)?
-mark

Post Edited (Oct 12, 8:39am)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay.. the rest of the story. It is a 74 1/2 260Z. It has sat in a garage in Michigan for the past 6 years so I expected lots of issues. I am still looking for a replacement Ignition module that was pulled. Body is pretty straight some rust issues on the undercarriage that do not seem overwhelming yet...frame rails are solid but the drivers floorpan needs some attention.

I am betting the alternator is totaled and was before I connected the battery. Am still trying to pull it off. It is really on there and I do not have an impact wrench.

I am in West Virginia where Z cars are few and far between which was part of the desire to get back into them.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

<http://mypeoplepc.com/members/jonward/thewardfamily/id20.html>

741/2 260Z "BlueZ"

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Search out the local? Z clubs and join one.The other members should be happy to help you out. It worked for me and now Ive got some friends that are as obsessed with the Z as I am.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Tri-State Z Car Club

P.O. Box 2201
Hedgesville, WV 25427
USA Phone: 304-283-2876
Meeting Dates: 2nd. Saturday of each month
Meetings At: Mountain View Restaurant
Meeting Address: Hwy 51, Charleston, across from Charlestown Races

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark thanks for the info. Unfortunately the Tri-State Z Car Club is on the other side of the state for me. I may check out the one in Fairmont. It is only a couple hours away. Anyone in the WV/KY/OH tristate area?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hope you did not put the battery in backwards? If so I would guess lots of things may have fried! Don't you hate the smell of burning electronics?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
haha Wishin!!! Who did that? Someone here had the battery in backwards....lol!!! Amazing things Ive read on this forum...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Removing alternator

Well, Jonward, you dont need an impact wrench. Just but a 4 foot pipe on the end of your socket handle and give it a gentle tug.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I need someone in the DC area to help me with a local mech with good prices or to help me install my struts & bushing kit on my Z. I've had these parts for about 6 months but not willing to give the local mech $800 to install. I'm willing to do myself if a expert or someone who has done it looks on......

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes I do. My thing is the tools. My buddy is a mechanic but he doesn't want to do it. He claims he doesn't like working on struts. He changed his on his 240z a few years back & he said that's why. I guess I'll have to summon up the courage to do it myself or give up the $800......I did see Blue's Tips. It looks pretty straight forward with the time & tools.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Imagine all the parts you could buy with that 800 bucks you save....then you can do more work...and save more money...and buy more parts.....and do more work.. God, your future is so bright! There is nothing quite like owning a Z! Best of luck!! :eek:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
The first time we started fooling with my zx, we bought a battery and it's polls were reversed and we didn't notice until we hooked it up. It burned out the alternator and a fusable link. Patti

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
No way. That's why they are MARKED at each pole so there are no mixups. No one would hook it up backwards beacuase that would cause 700 amps the wrong way and kill your car.

mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.