ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can find the tool for loosening/tightening the locknuts on the valve adjusters on the L28E engine? The Haynes manual shows this as part number ST106-40001.

I found one in Motorsport Auto for $39 plus S&H but don't want to pay that much. I checked with NissanAutoParts.com and they can't order it.

Are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Bob A.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Bob,
I bought a standard box/open end 16mm wrench and took a small grinder and kept opening up the throat of the box end unti it was around 16.3mm. Worked for me on my '77 280Z.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a 17mm open end for the lock nut and 14 mm open end for the adj.nut on my 76. The clymer manual shows a crow foot 17mm for the lock nut so you can torque it...a crows foot should be available at Sears or similar tool store. good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pop off rocker arm if jammed

> Can anyone tell me where I can find the tool
> for loosening/tightening the locknuts on the
> valve adjusters on the L28E engine? The
> Haynes manual shows this as part number
> ST106-40001.

> I found one in Motorsport Auto for $39 plus
> S&H but don't want to pay that much. I
> checked with NissanAutoParts.com and they
> can't order it.

> Are there any alternatives?

> Thanks in advance.

> Bob A.
A 17 mm and a 14 mm should work. However, sometimes the nuts get jammed and the head bolts get in the way and there is not much room to get an open end wrench in there. What I have done when that happens is to pop off the rocker(s) and use the closed end to loosen the nuts. Then I put the rock back on. I go down the whole line until everything is loose, then I adjust and tighten. Once everything is loose, the 14 mm and 17 mm openn ends should be fine for tightening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.