Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...

I did a manual transmission swap a while back, 81 280zx into my 77 280z. On the same day i got it running, i was stupid and had an run-in with the curb gods... which bent up my rear suspension and chunked a rim... Anyways... so i have been looking for a cheap rear suspension setup ( not an easy task... for the front control arm brace, the A-arms, and the rear brace, ( that curves around the diff...) it is pretty expensive... anyways, but onto the real problem...

My charging system isnt charging, new alternator, new voltage reg, and a new starter... But i can't find the short int he system or what is missing, because this is my first z car, and i am not completely familiar with the wiring yet... so i dont even know if it is all installed correctly, i do have a fsm, but i am having trouble deciphering what is has to say... i was wodnering if anyone could give me some pointers, or if there is someone in the area that could help me out and take a look at the wiring... i am in antioch CA...

anyways, thatnks for any suggestions... i cant wait to be able to get this thing back on the road again so that i can autocross, and stop driving a buick... **shudder**

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Off the top of my head, I would say check your fusible links. All the charging current for your battery runs through there. I don't see that listed as a cause for no output, though. Clean and tighten these links. Also check that there is continuity.

A better answer is to follow the FSM trouble shooting guide. At first, the tables seem difficult to follow, but look them over well. You'll figure out what needs to be done.

Example - Go to the Engine Electrical Section. Read up about the charging circuit. Get to understand it. Read about the Alt and the Regulator. There are some checks in each of the sections. There is also a full t/s guide near the end of the chapter.

Most of the checks center around reading the output voltage of the alt, the voltages at the regulator.

Does the car run (if you charged your battery first?). Are all your grounds in good shape? All wiring in good shape? Tight connections? Did you put the new parts in correctly? Start with the simple stuff and work your way to the hard. It is possible that your new equipment may be faulty. The manual should help you find out, though.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Look under the passenger seat. You will see a relay (brake warning lamp check relay). Make sure it is plugged in. Will be a 4 pin connector with one of the pins missing... You need it to complete the charging circuit. Look in the body electrical section of your FSM. (it will be under "wiring diagram for brake waring system")
I know someone in Phoenix who runs a Z salvage yard. Will be able to hook you up. His name is Greg Clark, email [email protected]
Where do you live in CA? I will be in CA next month. If I am near you and you have'nt figured it out.. willing to stop by for a look.
John Bracken

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, well. my parking brake light works now...

but the engien still dies when i remove the negative battery terminal..

also keep in mind that i did a tranny swap.. could this have anything to do with it? ( wiring wise? ) i dunno, i am quite lost...

the charging system should only be affected by a few main components, right?

the alternator, the voltage regulator, and the wiring that deals with those components... right?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Re: hmm, well. my parking brake light works now...

Tranny swap will not affect the charging system, unless you unhooked something in the process. Did you find a unplugged relay under the passenger seat?
Go through the wiring diagrams in the engine electrical and body electrical section of the FSM.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm. i might as well take the thing to a shop..

i am planning on rewiring it with a painless wiring setup when i put the v-8 in...

I am getting tired of hunting down this thing... if i cant figure it out by this weekend, i'm going to take it to someone to fix..

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
hope u can afford paying 40 bucks an hour

to the auto electric gods

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.