ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build A high performance N/A motor and need some advice on what combonation would be the best to use.
These are the parts I have to use.
A N-42 block with the N-42 & N-47 head's
A F-54 block with the P-79 & P-90 head's
Thanks, Keith

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Any are good...

If you have access to them, the P90 and F54 are the latest and most refined available in the US. Newer is probably the better bet.
Other than that, any of them are a fine choice for starting. Unless you are going really all-out any will suit a buildup. Be aware at least the N47 head has the exhaust port liners, but on a flat-top F54 block gives respectable compression...

· Registered
11,803 Posts
Try the N42 block with a N42 head shaved .070 for a high compression NA engine.

For a slightly lower compression use the F54 with a P90 head shaved ~ .080.

For a more standard combination you can use the F54 block and the N42 head with no shaving.

If you really want insane then go with the F54 block and a shaved N42 head. That's the combination I'm putting together now, but be warned that this combo may not run on 93octane gas. You could reduce the amount of shaving on the N42 to say .025 to help matters.

I'm assuming that the N42 block has the dished pistons and the F54 has the flattops.

What ever combination you use, make sure you get your air/fuel ratio and timing correct. That's what’s going to make or brake your combination.

Good luck

· Registered
40 Posts
Straight up use the F-54 with the N-47 head and you will have a high compression motor that can handle a good amount of power. Just use high octane gas 93 or better will be good. If you use a 1mm metal head gasket you will have 10.19 to 1 ratio. If you use this setup you will not be disapointed trust me.

John Snead

· Registered
153 Posts
The F54 block has a web between the cyl in the water jacket. Chevy teied this with the 400 cu block. problem is unequal expansion. I am told late model F54 blocks had slots cut in the webs to address this problem. I have no idea how to tell which you have. The N42 has no web, but thinner cyl walls - limiting the oberbore. I have a N42 with 260,000+ miles on it and does NOT use any oil.

Unless you are into turbos - use the N42 with flattop pistons.

Heads for a L28 are a problem. To build a SOHV engine the valves must line up - this canfiguration is prone to knocking. Some people get by with flat top pistons - some don't - I personally think it depends on the fuels available from your area refiners.

Nissan addressed this probem by going to a heart shaped combustion chamber - to provide a "squish" area on the 83' Maxima engine. I advertized on this forum and got one for a $100 US. I am VERY pleased with the results.

So -- get yourself a 83' Maxima head.

Finally I suggest a 75 model Z intake manifold. It doesn't have all of emission crap on it. This makes for a VERY clean functional engine compartment.

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
whats wrong with...

the f54 block and the e88 head is that a bad combination i see everyone going for the later head but i always thought that this was a good combo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.