ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got new tires put on the back. The tires that were on the back (only 3 months old) were moved to the front. Ever since doing this, the car is almost impossible to drive in a straight line. The tires aren't worn funny.

My thought was that the alignment was off, and the newer rubber just grips better and thats why I'm only now feeling it. So I took it to Midas to get a full alignment. After they did it, and the problem was not fixed, they called me up and said that it appears the front right ball joint is bad.

This seems plausible, especially since I know I hit the control arm on a curb a few days before getting the tires. The repairs and parts will cost $150. what do you all think? should I do it myself or just let them do it? or could they be trying to get more cash out of me???

Post Edited (Oct 12, 1:48pm)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well yeah, that is ridiculous for brakes. but I have no idea how much time it takes to replace a ball joint and then re-align the suspension though, so I'm not sure if this is reasonable or not....

·
Registered
724 Posts
Put the old tires back on the rear and the new ones on the front. See if you experience the same problem. Be sure the tires are balanced properly. Start inexspensively and move up in cash outlay unless you know for a fact that the problem Midas described is for real and they can prove it. Too many times I've sat in the waiting room/ rooms of places like that for minor service on my vehicles and the manager or assistant manager has come to the waiting room to explain "additional problems" to customers that were discovered while doing the maintenance that the customer came in for. If Midas can prove a real problem, then fine. If not.....tell them to go pound sand. Good luck.

Special Ops Lives!!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I got tagged like that once in 1978. I was living in upstate NY and getting my Camaro inspected. The car had 10,000 miles on it. They came out to tell me the idler arm was bad. What are you gonna do at that point. What killed me was the guy who owned the garage was supposed to be a friend of my dad's.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well went to go get my car, they still had it up on the rack, my ball joint is definitely broken, and the wheel definitely has a few degrees of movement. With it up you could see it clear as day. The thing was, I took the car in for a 4-wheel alignment ($60) and told them that my car simply refused to drive in a straight line, it would pull one way, then the other as soon as you tried to compensate for it. I'm sure I looked much like a drunk driver to other people on the road.
So they called me up a little while later saying that the caster on the right side was off for some unknown reason, and when the tech took it on a test drive it was still acting quite strange. So they put it up on a rack and inspected everything and noticed the ball joint.

When I got there, they showed it to me, no question about it. The cool part is that I know these guys pretty well and they know i like to do my own work. So they ordered the part from BAP for me and guided me through the replacement. After I got the thing all put back together, they re-aligned the front for free. I ended up paying like $100 for the parts, alignment and for their time.

Not bad, I think..

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
only in the Phoenix and Tucson area. Very cool place that carries QUALITY parts, not like the AutoZone/Checker crap most people see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.