Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a good recommendation for some performance struts/shocks
for the back of a 1981 280zx? Im looking for something around the 100 dollar range (for a PAIR). Any special tools I need to do the job? How long should it take, to replace the rear shocks?

thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I just put KYB's on the back and I really like them. I choose those because I got them for $10 each from a friend. They are about your price range, maybe $55 ea. if I recall. One tool that you need to rent is a McPearson strut sprind compressor. You also need a 17mm racket, 1/2 perferable. Another size for the spring compressor, usually about 19mm. Take the three nuts off from the top, under the cover, remove the lower nut, drop out from bottom. Of course it is on a jack. Compress spring, remove center nut on top. Disassemble. Reassembly on new shock, put into car and put threee nuts on first, then the bottom one. Easier to manuever. Put bottom bolt in. Done for that side. VERY easy, only took me about 10 minutes a side this past weekend. I was changing springs in the back. Are you using performance springs or stock. I put tokico on mine and it makes a HUGE difference, no squat any more, but kinda expensive and then you have to screw with alignment changes. I have that one covered, I just need to finish what I am doing. Good luck.
Joshua L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.