ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new rad., rad. cap tests good, new water pump, gauge is right, thermostat good, coolant 50/50, hoses good. on highway, overheats with ac on. this is the only time it overheats. if i don't solve this problem, i will shoot myself in the head. please, help.

batt. is good, alt. good, fused links new. alt. is not charging batt.
again, please, help.

also, what are some common batt. drains on a sitting z? i have to disconnect batt. every time i park it or it losses charge.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
A small (10") fan on the condensor, that is wired to a relay that energizes only when your compressor is on will solve this problem. Usually at highway speeds, enough air flows through this to keep the temp down. Have you cleaned it lately? Too many dead bugs and leaves will cut down on the flow. I guess your fan clutch is working well, or you would be overheating at idle.

You don't mention your year, so can't really diagnose your charging problem. If you have a 77 and earlier, you could have a problem with the external voltage regulator. When replacing the alt, you should also replace the regulator. Don't ask why, it just works better that way. If your car is later, you could have a wiring problem. Some of the wires (which are rather puny in the first place) involved in the charging circuit have some dubious connections. I'm sure they were fine for the first 15 or 20 years, but if you peel back some of the tape, you'll see some crimp on connections that look like a small staple. Soldering these connections can help. Also, don't underestimate the value of a good set of battery terminals.

Check the archives for similar charging problems and the solutions. Some good stuff has been written, and written, and written...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.