ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I know that this is a ridiculous request, but I will ask anyway. I need a working original equipment radio amplifier for an 86 GLL model. Is there anyone out there that might have one to sell. If so, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Im assuming he wants to do this to get it back to 100% original condition, and I "think" some models came with an external amplifier.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Amp is under the passenger seat along with the electronic gizmos for the security system and voice warning system. The wiring harness and associatecd electronic stuff for the cruise control is involved with this as well as the motorized antenna.

Along with trying to keep it as original as possible, I would like for all this associated stuff to work also. If I get something at Best Buys or that kind of place, the only thing that will be affected will be the sound system.

Post Edited (Nov 17, 5:03pm)

·
Registered
147 Posts
GLL Models (all years)
All GLLs in 84 (this includes the AEs) had the front speaker amplifier built into the head unit. The amplifier under the passenger seat was for the rear speakers only. For AEs, the amp under the driver's seat was for the body sonic speakers. From 85 and on, the amp in the GLLs was used for all speakers. ALL GLL models have seperate leads for each corner (dash tweeters, if applicable, are wired in parallel with the door speakers). This means you don't need to rewire anything. Simply run the speaker leads from the stereo (or amplifier) to under the passenger seat and connect to the existing speaker leads. You may remove the amplifier and the DIN cable that comes from the stereo.

Sence its for the rear speakers only i'll sell you mine when i pull it out on monday when I work on my car. I'll just use an aftermarket amp when i put my car back togeather.

Post Edited (Nov 19, 7:39am)

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Gary Dean wrote:
> The Amp is under the passenger seat along with the electronic
> gizmos for the security system and voice warning system. The
> wiring harness and associatecd electronic stuff for the cruise
> control is involved with this as well as the motorized
> antenna.
>
> Along with trying to keep it as original as possible, I would
> like for all this associated stuff to work also. If I get
> something at Best Buys or that kind of place, the only thing
> that will be affected will be the sound system.

Uhh.... No it's not. The amp is only for music for the speakers. It does nothing else.

- The voice warning module is in the passenger kick panel above and behind the ECU.
- The security system is the two other boxes next to the amp under the passenger seat.
- The antenna is all by itself in the back of the car, driver's side.
- The cruise control doesn't go anywhere near the amplifier. There is a signal receiver box under the rear storage tray that processes the signals from the steering wheel controls and distributes as needed.

If you only remove the amplifier, you only remove the actual powered stereo signals. Nothing else is affected.

I BELIEVE you can use any 85-89 amplifier. You can't use an 84 amplifier since it is only 2 channels.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Zbum. I tried to define all the wires on the wiring diagram and it seemed like all those parts were interconnected and somehow affected each other.

I never did locate the DIN cord on the diagram or it was not identified as such. I assumed that the DIN cord was the "speaker connection" between the radio and amplifier. Also, there is a DIN cord that runs from the radio to the receiver box and I could not locate that wire on the diagram either.

I am working with a couple of guys via e-mail to purchase a used amp for around $20. I know that it is a chancy thing but I would like to get the original setup working if possible. I do appreciate your input.

Post Edited (Nov 20, 8:23am)

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Diagram found in the electrical section with Steering Wheel Switch System. Relatively unimportant since you can't do anything with the internal wires anyway.

I believe there are only two DIN cables total in the car.
One goes from the receiver box to the stereo. This sends signals to the stereo to do the steering wheel inputs.
One goes from the stereo to the amplifier. This carries the audio signal from the stereo to the amplifier.

A number of years ago, some manufacturers used to connect their head units to external amps via DIN cables. Now, everyone uses RCA connectors for their low level signals.

If you end up having problems with everything, you can always send your stuff off to Wild Bill (search the links on z31.com for his site). He's pricey, but I understand he does excellent work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys,

I bought a radio from Wild Bill. I haven't heard it work yet but feel confident that it will once I get a working Amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.