Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I own a 1982 280ZX 2+2, I am buying a 1982 280ZX Turbo for parts, and i have a few questions. I would certianly rather run the Turbo motor in my current car. My first question is, 1:is the block the same on the turbo and the non turbo? I know the head is not, and secondly which would be better, should I just move the manifold over onto my stock ZX head, I know its higher compression, but couldn't I adjust the wastegate on the turbo to turn it down? or am I asking for problems? Knowing the 2 combinations, what would any of you do out there? Oh ya and will the stock ZX 5 speed hold up to the Turbo Power? Or do I need to find the Warner transmission? My parts car is an Automatic :( But on the plus size if anyone in the LA area wants the auto trans off of it, I may just give it to you. Any advice is appreciated, I live in CA as I stated, and I believe it would be smog legal as long as I move all the emissions and components over right?

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Turbo block has webbing between the cyl walls that makes it stronger and much more desirable. The lower compression of the turbo's stock piston/head combination will be better because you will be able to run more boost without pre-detonation (kaboom). I believe that you should move the entire motor over, block, head, intake and exhaust manifold, and entire wiring harness. It will bolt up directly to the NA 5sp tranny and unless you plan on lots of clutchless shifting at the dragstrip it should do just fine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
and on the emissions note it's technically not legal, but I seriously doubt anyone at the emissions statement is going to know you've changed it anyways as it still will look stock (unless the turbo engine doesn't have a few emissions components that the n/a does. Bottom line though is that emissions "techs" see so many cars and they're all different, and since there are turbo Z's they probably will be none the wiser unless they happen to be a Z fan, in which case they'd probably pretend they didn't notice a difference. (no guarantees though)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Because the 1982 280ZX 2+2 was offered with a Turbo, I should legaly be able to move the engine over as well as ALL emmissions, it is considered a engine replacement, I am not even sure it is considered an upgrade. Again from my understanding as long as I am using the same year to the same year (which it is), and the car was offered with the Turbo Engine (whitch is was) it is suppsed to be fine, they just have to rate it against emmission standards for a 1982 280ZX Turbo instead of the standard, if someone knows this to be incorrect, I would sure like to know.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
403 Posts
Probably true, I just know what a bunch of Nazi's the guys here in arizona are about stuff. (and how generally uneducated the majority of them are) They tried to give me a bad time on my 72 for not having a catalytic converter a few years ago (had to do a bit of arguing as it never had one in the first place)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.