ZCar Forum banner

Need Ignition Relay for 1980 ZX (25230-W0500/B5230-W0500), Where To Get???? What to Replace With???

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  79280zxFL 
#1 ·
Guys - The ignition relay went bad on my wife's one-owner 1980 280ZX made in September of 1979. I've been scouring the internet for a replacement to the original part numbers (25230-W0500 superceded by B5230-W0500) and have found that these parts are long out of production and unavailable from any dealer stock or internet parts provider. I did come across an enthusiast that at one time made a replacement part using two standard plastic relays and wiring of his own design that plugged right into the original connector (Datsun 240Z Upgrades - What's New) but a note on the website indicated the owner moved to Montana in November of 2018 and I've been unable to reach him via the website contact form, e-mail or USPS "snail mail" to see if he still dabbles in creating things for the Zs. Thus, I have to assume that he's out of the business.

So, does anyone know of someone who might have one of these collecting dust on a shelf somewhere? Or, is there anyone who can tell me how to homemake a replacement like the person in Montana did with a connector that is "plug and play"? A third alternative might be if the internals of the existing relay could be repaired. The existing relay doesn't have any exterior corrosion so it doesn't appear to have suffered water intrusion like so many do from a windshield leak. It seems to have just malfunctioned from age. The car has 93,000 miles and has been garage kept all it's life.

As you can see I'm trying to do anything I can to avoid hacking into the factory wiring harness unless there is no other alternative.

I've attached a picture of what the enthusiast in Montana used to make. I think he created a rather elegant solution to my problem - just wish I could contact him to make one more.

Cable Electrical supply Wire Auto part Electronic device

See less See more
#2 ·
Y
Guys - The ignition relay went bad on my wife's one-owner 1980 280ZX made in September of 1979. I've been scouring the internet for a replacement to the original part numbers (25230-W0500 superceded by B5230-W0500) and have found that these parts are long out of production and unavailable from any dealer stock or internet parts provider. I did come across an enthusiast that at one time made a replacement part using two standard plastic relays and wiring of his own design that plugged right into the original connector (Datsun 240Z Upgrades - What's New) but a note on the website indicated the owner moved to Montana in November of 2018 and I've been unable to reach him via the website contact form, e-mail or USPS "snail mail" to see if he still dabbles in creating things for the Zs. Thus, I have to assume that he's out of the business.

So, does anyone know of someone who might have one of these collecting dust on a shelf somewhere? Or, is there anyone who can tell me how to homemake a replacement like the person in Montana did with a connector that is "plug and play"? A third alternative might be if the internals of the existing relay could be repaired. The existing relay doesn't have any exterior corrosion so it doesn't appear to have suffered water intrusion like so many do from a windshield leak. It seems to have just malfunctioned from age. The car has 93,000 miles and has been garage kept all it's life.

As you can see I'm trying to do anything I can to avoid hacking into the factory wiring harness unless there is no other alternative.

I've attached a picture of what the enthusiast in Montana used to make. I think he created a rather elegant solution to my problem - just wish I could contact him to make one more.

View attachment 112304
You mean the starter relay? I mean if your looking for a starter relay you can find it here Starter Relay Upgrade Replacement 280Z 280ZX

#3 ·
Not the starter relay. Rather the relay behind the glove box that switches power to the wipers, blower motor, radio, rear window defogger, instruments, etc. The domestic industry would call these "accessory relays" but Nissan calls them "ignition relays" even though they really don't have anything to do with the running of the engine.

#4 ·
I made one for a 77 just yesterday. Unfortunately that one is pinned differently than the ZX relay. Let me see if I can get a friend with a ZX verify the pinouts for me.

You can make them yourself.
Here is what you will need:
Open barrel crimper - https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimping-AWG24-12-Terminals-Connectors/dp/B07G98DLB8
Six pin non-latching connector - 6.3mm 6-pin Non-Latching M/F Nylon Connector - Vintage Connections
Relays - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PK7F1MC
Ring lug - https://www.amazon.com/150PCS-Copper-Terminal-Connerctor-Battery/dp/B09P6DN72J

I will try to remember to post instructions on what wire goes where. I was planning on doing a video on crimping open barrel terminals anyway, so I guess it's time for me to do that.

#5 ·
I made one for a 77 just yesterday. Unfortunately that one is pinned differently than the ZX relay. Let me see if I can get a friend with a ZX verify the pinouts for me.

You can make them yourself.
Here is what you will need:
Open barrel crimper - https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimping-AWG24-12-Terminals-Connectors/dp/B07G98DLB8
Six pin non-latching connector - 6.3mm 6-pin Non-Latching M/F Nylon Connector - Vintage Connections
Relays - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PK7F1MC
Ring lug - https://www.amazon.com/150PCS-Copper-Terminal-Connerctor-Battery/dp/B09P6DN72J

I will try to remember to post instructions on what wire goes where. I was planning on doing a video on crimping open barrel terminals anyway, so I guess it's time for me to do that.
Steve:. You're a lifesaver if you can tell me how to wire the relays to the connector. I would never have known how or where to procure the connector or which wire goes where.

#6 ·
I'm drawing up the connector in CAD to send to my friend to see if he can verify the wire locations for me.

#7 ·
Actually, you can verify the colors for me. Disconnect the relay from the harness and looking at the open end of the harness, verify the wire colors per this:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

Connector without wires
Rectangle Wood Electric blue Font Hardwood

#11 ·
The black/red and black/white are the coil power. You are also correct about the white wires are for the power flow. The extra terminal is for the ground wire for the coils.
Get the parts, and I can walk you through building it.

#15 ·
Yes, that picture is the defective relay I took out of the car. Steve (above) has made me a replacement utilizing two individual aftermarket 30 amp relays, wire and connectors he had in his possession. He mailed the completed piece to me yesterday. Thanks for joining the discussion. I'm sure this thread will help others in the future.

#16 ·

View attachment 112304

View attachment 112304
I have a NOS New Oem Nissan part if you haven't done anything yet. Lmk. Contact me Via stevenehlers77@gmail.com

#24 ·
I don't have a diagram because I don't need one.