ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem, a couple of weeks ago my batery started draining when the car was off, and if I didnt start it every 6 hours or so, I would need a jump.

It has been getting worse and worse and now I need a jump to start it every time.

I had the alternater and the batery tested, they are both good.

Last night I put the batery on the charger, let it get to 100% then tryed to start it. The starter made a Click sound and then the battery went dead....

All my fuses and fusable links are good.

I'm a little confused with the wiring diagram that I have, it says that the line running off my batery should go directly to my starter, although I know it should run through the Fusable links box. It also only has 1 line running off my batery, but I have 2, and they both look stock.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

86 NA 300zx K&N Filter

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Will it still start with a jump? Make sure you have checked for the simple stuff look such as battery corrosion on the inside of the battery cable where it actually connects with the battery. Sometimes you really have to get in there with a wire brush and go at it.

Definitely a strange problem if it will start with a jump but not with a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after looking at the Wiring diagram for the service manual (carfiche.com) I can tell that the wiring was changed at some point in time, acording to the service manual, I should have 1 wire running off the batery that should go to the starter, then the wire should splice at the starter and run to the fusalbe links box.

In my car, I have 2 wires running off the batery, one to the fusable links box, and 1 to the starter... I was thinking my first step should be to replace those, they cant cost more than a few dolars and they are old and look horibly worn out. the wire to the fusable links box is starting to fray at the batery.

My only other thought is that I might have a short in my starter, but that doesnt explain why it would start when I get jumped.

·
Registered
540 Posts
ITS EITHER A WEAK BATT,DIRTY CONN AT THE BATT, AND OR A DRAIN ON THE BATTERY WHEN THE CAR JUST SITS ,IM LEANING TOWARDS THAT IF THE BATTERY TESTS GOOD.GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with DAD on this. My sister once had a similar problem with her Grand Prix (I know). I can't remember why, but when she shut the car off and got out of it, the power seat motor would continuously run and drain the battery. I would check and see if maybe you are experiencing the same situation.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
My situation turned out to be a bad negative cable on the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep working on it and post here when I figure out what it is in case this happens to someone else.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same problem, took the starter to AutoZone to be tested. The starter would spin a bit then shut itself off. Bought a new starter, installed it and no further problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured it out;

The wire to the positive batery post is a 3-part conection... after cleaning each of the conectors I noticed that the conectors to the 2 wires were wraped in electrical tape.... kinda wired, so I took off the tape and saw the worst conection job I'ld ever seen....

Went to pep-boys bought a new conector for $0.98 put it on and now it starts like a champ.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.