Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 300ZX N/A
I need help to identify the wiring coming back from my alternator . A wiring diagram or information for the two connectors beside the battery would really help me to trouble shoot my car.

Basically there are two connectors,
1/ one connector has two heavy gauge white wire. When I disconnect it (up-stream) I have 12 volts to gnd at each tap. What is the purpose of these two wires to the alternator?

2/ The other connector has about 4 - 6 fine wires. What are those wires for?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stu85na. That is great. I will start the tracing process. The only diff here is that my second connector has 6 wires instead of 2 wires as shown in wiring diagram. Basically, There are two connector for 87 model. One connector has 2 while the other has 6 wires. The wiring diagram shows 2 and 2 wires.

Paul

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually there is no difference. I have made an error in pulling the wrong connector. So looks like there are 4 wires in total. 2 heavy gauge white wires in 1 connector that carry power from the battery, 1 ground wire in its own connector and one small white/brown wire going somewhere in the harness. My guess for this white and brown wire is the dash board light.

All wires checked out okay at these two connectors with exception to white/brown wire for dash light which I can not confirm. So, I am certain now it is my old alternator that is still giving me a problem.

A solution now would be buying a used 1990 Maxima alternator from the wrecker as someone here has suggested for my 1987 Nissan. I still have to locate the correct belt size.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Paul,

I've done the Maxima Alternator swap (the hard way - non-turbo). Do you have a turbo or non-turbo? The belt size you need is (thinking...) 36.5 inch or 935mm long and you can get them from any autoparts store. If you have a turbo 87 then that is really all you will need. I had to swap the waterpump and crankshaft pulley's but it was worth the effort.

If you are interested in doing the Maxima Alternator swap (and I would recommend it) make sure you visit here if you haven't already:

http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.maxima.alternator.shtml

It is a big help. If you decide to go through with it and you have questions or run in to trouble - feel free to contact me via my email address in my profile or here on the board.

Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for help.
I have a 1987 N/A. My alternator already have the right pulley (similar to Maxima pulley from the picture) I was told that Maxima alternator is a bit smaller so a larger belt is required. I have read "Zbum" website and I don't think it is applicable to my 1987. Basically, I don't think I need to change my crank shaft puller and other pulley as well. Could anyone confirm that?

I have pulled my alternator out from my car this morning in order to try to fix my alternator. Once I had it a part. It is clearly to me that it is not repairable. The part where the brush ride on is badly worn out (grove and deep cut).

I found a better way removing my alternator without removing other belts and cooling fan..

The instruction is detail in the manual you have posted here. All I have to do is to drop my torsion bar (4 bolts) and start moving my alternator. About 1 hr later, I have my old alternator on my hand. Definately I will follow with other people here to use Maxima alternator. Unfortunately with that decision, all other belts will have to come off unless I may decide to swap my old pulley with the new alternator to keep the same belt.

Has anyone done the swap but using the old pulley to stay with the old belt?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a used maxima alternator from a 1995 Maxima. Before buying this used alternator, does anyone here know if 1995 alternator is exactly the same as 1992 Maxima?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.