ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a 1989 300ZX 2+2 N/A 5spd, with 154,000 miles on the odometer. I'm going to be test-driving it tomorrow and possibly buying it. It appears to be in pretty good condition, though there is a spot of rust over one of the wheel wells. He's asking $2700, but I figure I'll haggle him down to $2000 or less - especially since I don't know how much the rust has encroached. He told me it's "kind of a rare car, only two of them in the US" but I'm pretty sure he's just trying to elevate the price because of an uncommon color combination.

Anyway, I was wondering if - first of all - it was worth the kind of money he's talking. Second, I would like to know what I should be looking for, common problems with these cars, et cetera. I would hugely appreciate any feedback I get! :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
By the way I think he may be pulling your leg about it being rare, but going thru that list of what to look for will show you most things needed to know prior to buying a 300zx.

Use the rust and high-ish miles as a bargaining chip to get it at a lower price...

Post Edited (Nov 17, 3:58pm)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to mention that the Kelley Blue Book quotes a "good" condition 300ZX in this year/style/engine at $1600. :p I haven't driven a manual before - I know how to, but it's probably going to take some getting used to.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
My honest opinion on what to do when test driving a car is to just thrash the guts out of it. I mean seriously give it a good run (once it's warmed up of course) and just plain hammer the sh*t out of it. If it breaks down dont buy that car... lol

Having said that if there are known problems with the car before you buy it obviously dont do that, but if he's saying it's in A+ condition then put his words to the test :)

Just my opinion, mightn't be the wisest thing to do for a car owner on a budget but when I got my Z31 I just drove it like I stole it everywhere. Something breaks, get it fixed, go again; repeat. A few k later my Z goes so hard it's scarey for an NA. But like I said, I dont recommend this for everyone lol

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Only two hmmm? Well...there's only one like mine so maybe he's telling the truth albeit in a misleading way. An '89 turbo 5sp is very rare. Maybe less of those than shiros or the other rare models. I wants one ;)
His isn't rare and it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.
Yeah, just drive it under your normal driving habits and follow that link to z31.com. Me, I'd rev it to 4 grand and drop the clutch somewhere during the test drive. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I wouldn't say to thrash the sh!t out of it but I would make sure it goes well on the freeway and I'd make sure it can stop well if necessary. So slam on the brakes at least once to make sure they work well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree with 85zx drive it like you stole it!! You also want to make sure that you get it to normal operating temp.. and then drive try and hear it start up for the frist for that day!--Look to see if theres a piece of **** oil filter on it--check the dip stick--Put the car in 2nd gear and drop the clutch that will let you know if the clutch is slipping or not!--I hope its worth if---I dont know where you are--But I'm in Jacksonville FL and if your looking for a good car Mine is for sale! But its $3500 but again its a really good car
Its in the classified ads if you want to call me

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
also i would look into schedueled maitance some if you can - timming belt when it was last done if ever - tranny and rear diff flush - smog crap if applicable - tires breaks plugs rotor cap and all that good junk

and make sure you get a good deal - i dont know where you are located but i picked up a nice 86 turbo gll 119xxx for 1200 rust free great running just no ac and it had a bad tire

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't driven it yet, I will later today - but tell me:

1. Is the stereo supposed to be so quiet? This has the version with an equalizer in it. The engine was running, but it wasn't moving - maybe that's why.

2. The pneumatics in the hatchback are bad, and don't hold up the trunk. Expensive repair?

3. Does the Z31 tend to get mechanical headlight problems? They sound solid to me, but most cars with pop-up headlights tend to get lots of problems.

4. How does one correct rust? There's a couple square inches of rust and paint bubbling just around the rim of the wheel well. There have been a few small flakes of the body that came off. Is this easily correctable, would it require replacing a large body part, or should I just leave it?

Thanks again, I'm really happy to see all the response.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
1. Turn the volume up. If you can't hear the music with the windows down, motor on, and volume all the way up, there is a problem with the stereo. Just replace it.

2. ~$20 each at an auto parts store.

3. No. Quite rare actually.

4. You cut it out and weld in new panels. Then repaint. Rust is bad, mmm-kay? Sounds like $1500 would be more fair for that car.

And there were 226 1989 2+2 NA 5spds made for the US.

Post Edited (Nov 19, 2:49pm)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.