ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background... I have an '84 na that I replaced the timing belt, water pump, front seals, chts. etc.. about 6 months ago and ran great. Well, my daughter let the oil run low and it started tapping bad so I replaced the lifters on both sides, now it won't start. One thing i'm not sure about is if I got the dizzy in right. I've done my best to set the 1st cyl at tdc and install the dizzy but no luck. One more thing - it sat for a couple months but the gas smells good. My daughter now needs the car badly so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I guess what I really need to know is what mark on the crank pulley should the timing arrow be pointing at when the rotor is pointing at #1 post on the dizzy cap?

Post Edited (Mar 1, 12:43pm)

·
Registered
505 Posts
At TDC (and no1 on compression stroke), your rotor button will point to approximately 9 o'clock looking down from the top, and your timing arrow will point to "0" on the crank shaft pulley.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you look at your rotor when you pull it out there are 3 marks on the shaft and gears. the top on the little dot must line up with the bottom mark ( the protruding one) insert and the rotor should line up pointing a little left of your no. 1 cylinder. or the screw hole where the cap screws in at. also make sure all three marks on your timing belt line up (2 on the cam gears and one on the crank) The mark your looking for on the crank pulley is the farmost left one. As you progress right each line is 5 degrees more advanced ( im pretty sure that makes it advance it. also use a timing light to completely make sure you have the dist. cap on correctly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I may have other problems... can the front crank pulley be bolted to the crank pulley wrong? The reason I ask is when my #1 cyl. is TDC, my timing marks don't line up. I may have bolted on wrong if that's possible.

Post Edited (Mar 3, 12:52pm)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.