ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 79 ZX as a swapper for my 81. It is rust free with a little bit of front end damage. The car is primered, with some bondo in it. I was giving the car a good look over, and noticed on the inside edge of the door were some stripes about 12 high in the middle. Light blue, dark blue, black. The car also has a whale tail on it. I was thinking the whale tail was aftermarket until I saw the stripes, and now I think it may be a ZXR. The paint code is 649, the interior is black, the whale tail is very rigid. Is there any other way of determining if it is? If so, it will completely change my restoration plans for it.

What are the ZXR's worth? Are the decals still available?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Ct..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CT, I also have a ZXR. Your comment about the tail worries me. The ZXR tail is rubber and flexible. If yours is fiberglass it may be an aftermarket. This does not necessarily mean that you do not have a real ZXR. I tried to get verification of my car's authenticity through Nissan, but I was not satisfied with the response. They told me where it was sold (the dealer is no longer in business) and the service date, past that they could not verify that the car is a real ZXR. Of the ZXR's I have seen or heard about there does not seem to be a string of 1000 numbers that they were made from - the numbers are different by over 6000. I don't think the stripes are still available, if they are they will be very expensive and probably very brittle after being stored for 20 years. The original tail is available from Nissan Motorsports, check your dealer a catalog.
Right now the ZXR is not worth more than any other '79 ZX in the same shape, but hold on. They are building in prestige, at least, and it is fun to at least have the gratitude of Z fans in maintaining and preserving a piece of Z history. At least parts don't cost more that a stock ZX and they are still plentiful (relatively). Let me know if you have more success than I did in identifying serial numbers.
The IZCC is starting a registry of ZXR owners and they have a couple of good pictures in the history section - check it out.

> I just bought a 79 ZX as a swapper for my
> 81. It is rust free with a little bit of
> front end damage. The car is primered, with
> some bondo in it. I was giving the car a
> good look over, and noticed on the inside
> edge of the door were some stripes about
> 12 high in the middle. Light blue,
> dark blue, black. The car also has a whale
> tail on it. I was thinking the whale tail
> was aftermarket until I saw the stripes, and
> now I think it may be a ZXR. The paint code
> is 649, the interior is black, the whale