ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put an E-31 head on my 73 240Z. But I'm worried that I'm going to screw up my engine. Basically I'm only worried on the timing chain. How would I know before starting the engine if it is on right.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I'm trying to put an E-31 head on my 73
> 240Z. But I'm worried that I'm going to
> screw up my engine. Basically I'm only
> worried on the timing chain. How would I
> know before starting the engine if it is on
> right.

Well, we can hope you followed the manuals and had the timing chain markers and the cam/crank set right. Take out the plugs and slowly rotate the engine if you arn't sure. it should turn over without any binding if you have it right. You can also use a semi long stiff wire to check when the No.1 piston gets to TDC and look at the cam lobes to get a rough idea if it's close. It's easy when you follow the fireing order. This won't tell you of your a tooth or 2 off but If you put the chain on and followed the manual then it should be ok.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I'm trying to put an E-31 head on my 73
> 240Z. But I'm worried that I'm going to
> screw up my engine. Basically I'm only
> worried on the timing chain. How would I
> know before starting the engine if it is on
> right.

Well, we can hope you followed the manuals and had the timing chain markers and the cam/crank set right. Take out the plugs and slowly rotate the engine by hand (a socket on the crank bolt) and the tranny in neutral if you arn't sure. it should turn over without any binding if you have it right. You can also use a semi long stiff wire to check when the No.1 piston gets to TDC and look at the cam lobes to get a rough idea if it's close. It's easy when you follow the fireing order. This won't tell you of your a tooth or 2 off but If you put the chain on and followed the manual then it should be ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.