ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my CAS in my NA 86 300zx and after I did it ran ok but I went to adjust the idle because it was lower than I’d like and now it turns over but has no response when I press the gas unless I’m flooring it as I turn it over. When it is running it is very choppy. I have very limited tools right now so I cannot pull the plugs to check for sparks but I smell gas. Any help asap would be appreciated it is my daily and I need to get to work and get to somewhere with more tools

·
Registered
168 Posts
Of a more useful note, could your car be flooding? Pull your dipstick smell and feel the oil. Is the oil very thin. Does it smell strongly like gas? If yes to both, your car is likely pumping far to much fuel into the cylinders.
If you think it might be flooding, check the fuel pressure regulator.

How did the car run before the CAS change?
How did it run after the CAS change? Could the fuel problem have already been there?

When did it start the flooding problem and what changes were made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the dipstick and it definitely smells like gas and it has other symptoms of flooding. What all do I to fix the flooding issue on a z?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you have the Factory Service Manual (FSM)? Get the FSM for your year car from the link if not. The Xenon site is a superb reference site.

Have you checked the ECU for codes? See the FSM, efec section for Z31 diagnostics. The self diagnostic covers how to check the ECU for codes.

The EFEC section of the FSM has diagnostic procedures covering the entire engine control system. If I had to guess blindly, I would start my inspection with the fuel pressure regulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts