ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought one for $1300 here in So. CA. Not bad condition, very few rust and engine compression is 160psi all around. The carbs are not the flat tops but are the domed ones. (I assumed someone converted them). The engine tag matches the engine block so I know all is original.

I have some questions.First the hp people are saying for this car (due to emissions) is only 149. But the tag on the engine well says 162hp. Weird.. Also, I know that there are 2 versions of the 260 made in one year. One with thin bumpers and one with thick ones. In any case I believe that the thin bumpers (like the 240's) are rare and was produced in small units. Does anyone know how many units were sold with the thin bumpers? How rare is this car? Also what are the MAJOR differences on the 260's compared to the 240 (aside from the re-designed console and taillights). Is the suspension diffrent? how about the body structure? I also own a 73 240 with round SU carbs.. Will this 260 go faster if I take off all the smog equipment?

I need help, no one seems to know the answer. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Eric

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
I won't even start in on the HP thing--just look back thru the last few pages, I think that was all discussed recently.
As for the skinny-vs-fat bumpers, by serial numbers the skinny bumpers are more plentiful. Even though that's the case, they seem to be more desirable as they have the "240" look.
240/260 differences? well, 2600 vs 2400 motor, a more elaborate wiring harness, different tail lights, and the interior (dash/console) is updated.
IMHO, the skinny bumper 260's are thhe IDEAL project car: many of the 240's electrical glitches were taken care of, you can easily get a REAL A/C system that is FRIGID!, and the early bumpers swap from an early car, so for all intents and purposes you can't tell it from a 240 unless you see the taillights.
Plus, you can get them cheap, because lots of people "hate" them. I have two in the backyard now, one is the wife's...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Tony d

Why do people "hate" the early 260's? Is it because they are considered less collectible than the 240, and not as strong as the 280's?

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: "hating" the 260's</b>

The 260 developed a bad reputation due to its troublesome carburetors and other smog equipment that hurt the performance compared to the early 240's. Strange thing, though: the 260 was actually a performance improvement over the '73 240 that had similar carbs and smog equipment, but the smaller engine. But it never got the bad rap that the 260 did, just because it was a 240. Overall, the 70-72's were better running and more reliable than the 73 240 and 74 260.

The 260 was actually produced for 1-1/2 years: 7/73 through 12/74. The first 12 months used the 240 body style, while the last six months used the 280 body style. So the 280-style 260's were the rarest.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Why some people hate 260's</b>

Most people hate them based on a reputation they earned quickly when they came out.
1 heavier only 1-2 hundred pounds approx.

2 Reduced performance because of mainly emissions, and part extra weight.

3 Poor reliability due to flattop carbs and emissions.

4 Percieved to be "ugly" because of the increased visibility of the crash bumpers.

Did I miss anything?

Mostly a bad rap for the car once you lose the flattops. I've seen some beautiful 260's as well as a couple of road rockets. IMO.

No disrespect to 260 owners this is not a flame. :) Just trying to describe this as I know it.
ZR8ED

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
260 rear lights

i've never really seen a 260 up close but are the headlights on the back of it the same as a the 280 or 74 240 if it is a rear tail lights that were only produced that year does anyone have pictures of what they might look like?
thanks and zya
yuichi

p.s. tony check your e-mail;)

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
RE: Tony d

I only report what I've heard. Like I said, I love the 260! Got two! And like stated above, strip off the emissions stuff, put 240 bumpers on it, and IMHO you got the best of both worlds, later chassis improvements and electricals, and BIGGER engine! EVERY 260 I've been in has run STRONG! Don't know why. Also notice I put hate inside quotes as the phrase usually goes "Oh, a 260, man I HATE those things." It's a classist thing, Like 300ZXTT owners not liking anything else. Usually it's not from somebody who actually OWNED one, though. Funny how it works that way, EH? Its all good...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey! enough about 260Z's..But I own a 74 260Z but I really modified it and I recently put a 280 Block in it, either than that, I really enjoy and like it. Muhaahahaaa

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Tonys right. The people that dont like the 260 never seem to have owned one. It's always a story of a friend of a friend...... According to "experts" the major disadvantage that cannot be easily modified out is electrical problems, ie. wiring. Lots of folks like the 240 because the fuse box can be changed out easily whereas the 260 will not allow for this easy electrical fix. I personally like the 74, I own two, one with the steering wheel on the left and one with the steering wheel on the right. LP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.