Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
72 240Z
My new (<1000 mi.) alternator went out today, it had a bad diode, they said. Anyway I also found the fusible link (?) (black wire that goes from wiring harness to starter and hooks up same place as pos. battery cable) was worn and corroded. Put the new alternator in and replaced that wire, and now I'm not sure if the battery just isn't charged yet, but I get almost full scale deflection on the ammeter with rpm and just slight rise at idle. Also my lights (int. and ext.) get brighter and fan runs faster at rpm.

I don't know if its related, but when I put my dash back together I accidentally reversed the high beam and alternator leads under the dash. 4 headlight switches later my high beams still don't work. Is there any other wiring I might check?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I also have a 72! I don't know about your lights, but if your battery is low your ampmeter will read almost as high as it can on the positive side. Mine does this as well. Now for the lights dimming/brightening mine does this as well with changes in idle below 1000 rpm.

> 72 240Z
> My new ( I don't know if its related, but
> when I put my dash back together I
> accidentally reversed the high beam and
> alternator leads under the dash. 4 headlight
> switches later my high beams still don't
> work. Is there any other wiring I might
> check?

> Thanks in advance.

> Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electric update, most fixed but still nd help!

O.K. I was getting full scale positive ammeter deflection and when I turned my lights on the parking light fuse melted the fuse box a little. I thought maybe the fuse box was corroded like I had read about, so I pulled the box and it was like new.

Called my Z-club prez and told him about problems. He suggested the fusible link I made from a 16 gauge Ford link might be causing the problems. I made an 18 gauge link and still had the same problem. Will get a Nissan one monday.

Pulled the new alternator and had it rechecked. Works 4.0

Bought a new voltage reg. and it solved the amperage problem.

Still have the hot fuse problem with the parking lights, any ideas? The club prez said that is the one that usually goes and is often from the rear taillights grounding out. I guess I'll check them next, but I have new gaskets and everything looked fine a couple of days ago when I had the panels off.

What do you think it is? Could the earlier slightly melted fusebox be causing the prob? or maybe the 18 ga. fusible link? Any suggestions appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.