ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what years models and types of transmissions are compatable with my 78 280z 2+2, Do I need to get one from a 2+2, what other years will fit in it? I dont think I could live without my 5 speed, but will a 4 go in?

I need some facts ASAP,

THANKS

· Registered
57 Posts
Re: Need compatability info on a Manual Transmissi

You can pretty much put any tranny in your car from 70-83 in it.
When I got my 76' 2+2, it had a 4-speed from a 72 in it. After I blew that one, I got a B/W 5-speed from an 83' Turbo. The only thing you will probably have to change is the driveline, and maybe make the hole in the floor for the shifter bigger (not sure on the last one as I have heard both ways and I didn't have to do anything to mine)

If you want a direct replacement for the 5-speed you have in there (no modification whatsoever to the existing parts), any 5-speed from a 76-78 should bolt right up. (not sure about 79-82 though)

· Registered
31 Posts
Re: Need compatability info on a Manual Transmissi

Although the tranny will bolt right up there is a difference in the flywheel from the 2+2 to the coupe. The 2+2 has a larger surface because the car was heavier. When you check parts listings it will show that they are all interchangeable which they are but the 2+2 flywheel and clutch is better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.