ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's what happened. I just tried the z31.com CHTS removal procedure--removed my shroud and fan and idler pulley assembly, long screwdriver to break connector, then #19 socket to remove CHTS. Simple, right? Nope.

As I was turning the CHTS with the socket, the hex end broke off, leaving the threaded portion of the CHTS still there. There's about 1/4" of the threaded end protruding (what came out before the hex end popped), but that's all.

Any ideas for extracting the rest of the CHTS? I tried a needle nose pliers, to no avail. since it's round it won't take another try with a socket. Car is still disassembled downstairs. HELP!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You might have to take your timing belt off so you can get a straight shot at it. Maybe drill it out with a reverse drill bit since you're not re-using it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me too. I was able to take an old broken screwdriver. It had a chip off the tip that I could use to catch on irregularities on the CHTS and slowly turn the remaining piece of the CHTS a tiny fraction of a turn at a time. It was very time consuming and an awkward position to hold my body - but it worked. Good luck!

HTH Kru

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I worked at it all night, looking through the toolbox and such, no luck. I'll try try dom's suggestion first if I can't find anything to notch the CHTS tube with. Thanks, and keep sending suggestions......I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Don't lose hope - if worse comes to worse you will be able to follow the Haynes procedure to get a clear few of the CHTS. At that point you could take Dom's suggest of using a reverse drill bit to get it out (you can pick a set up at Sear's). While you're in there you could swap on a fresh timing belt as well.

I'm in the middle of a CHTS replacement as well, just got the sub-harness in today finally so I'll be at it tonight as well! I'm having some trouble fitting anything over the new CHTS to snug it down.

Good luck - you'll get it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Stu....I'm really dreading taking off everything down to the rear timing cover, but will do it if I have to. I was testing the new CHTS because I wondered the same thing about snugging it down. A deep well 19mm socket fit, as did a 19mm crowfoot wrench (with extension, I would presume). Just learn from me and use penetrating lube in advance. $%^&*!!

What's the worst that I can expect in the meanwhile with the CHTS disconnected? Probably nothing less than I've been experiencing with it already bad (poor fuel mileage, weirdo idle)?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Maximum Q - thanks for the advice :). I'll let you know how my run at it turns out.

As long as the broken CHTS piece will fill that hole the worst you will expereince is irratic idling & performance until the car warms up about (120F but operating temp is better).

I have been dealing with it for 5 years and it's not too bad :). Once the car is warmed up it vanishes and you won't know the difference. Until you have it replaced, just make sure your car is warmed up if you are in a hurry to get somewhere. If you have to drive it while it is cold it will be a bit irratic until it hits operating temperature but it will get warm pretty quickly.

Good luck and post if you have questions!

·
Registered
304 Posts
not sure if it will fit but maybe a huge pair of needle nose will let you get to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.