ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this 77 280Z thats 5 hours away for $500. I've seen pictures of it it has a nice looking body with no visable dents or bad spots and a nice looking 2 year old paint job(thats what the guy said), cool looking 70'searly 80s aftermarket wheels and a nice looking interior. Heres the bad it has a bad motor, something about a spun bearing, its automatic, its got an aftermarket sunroof, and it has a rust frame and floor pans.

I might be getting some money soon for my 280ZX getting smacked(if that woman has a grace period on her insurance expired the end of nov., it happened the 3rd) I dont wanna fix mine so I figured I'd up grade to a better body.

Would it be worth it?

Justin T

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
if its got a bad rusty frame n bad engine and stuff then I dont think it would be worth it unless you really have the time and money to fix it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Before you count your chickens, you might want to wait on the settlement. In my experience, insurance companies get incredibly anal about "just past" the expiration of a policy. In their view and supported by contract, you are covered until 11:59pm of the last day of the date on the policy. Get into an accident at 11:55pm, and you better get the cop to write that time down and not when he shows up, otherwise...no coverage.

Having been caught once or twice in the famous plight of "I thought I was in the 30 day grace period", and knowing that there ain't no such thing as far as insurance companies are concerned, I can atest to how stupid this may seem. However, unless you have lots of money to pay lawyers to fight this for you, and you eventually end up getting paid off just to drop the darn suit, you'll discover that the insurance companies always win.

As a bit of advice to you young drivers out there, if you have a questionable record, or ANYTHING that may make it difficult to GET new insurance, DO NOT LET YOUR COVERAGE LAPSE. If you do, you may find that the only way to get back behind the wheel of the car (legally) is to pay through.....well, you know. Even though you may be paying outrageous premiums, it is much, MUCH easier to get different coverage while under an EXISTING policy than trying to get a different company to accept you when you don't have one.

In short, the only way that woman had a grace period is IF she mailed her check prior to her policy ending, AND if her company RECEIVED it prior to her policy ending. Otherwise, no policy, no claim, no money.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I WILL get my money one way or another, if the insurance thing doesnt work I'm taking her to small claims court. Her company is suposed to call tomarrow, I REALLY hope they dont try to screw me.

JT

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am in the middle of putting my 72 240z together. It's a challenge to get the floorpans done if you are not planning on doing it yourself or with some buddies. That type of work is very expensive in my area. With the frame rails rusted out can also make the price go up. If you have your heart set on that car nothing will make you satisfied unless you get a better car with less work to do and cheaper. Keep that in consideration when or if you get the car, what other type of modifications will you be doing to the car. Then tally up your costs and see if that's going to be economical for you and not take forever to get it on the road. More down time means less driving time on the road. keep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiinggggggggggg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.