ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy offering to sell me a Nismo close ratio tranny.

I know that these trannys are rough around town, but I want to know just how rough. Is it to the point of annoiance? Am i going to be shifting every 3 or 4 seconds. Will I be able to cruise around on a Friday night, without damaging this thing. The guy before me, never ran it on the streets, but he said that he can't imagine that it would be too bad. But then again, he's looking to sell this thing, so he may tell me anything.

Nismo says 0-100 in under 8 seconds with a 250hp car, and after seeing one in action, I thik it is close. I would love to have this kind of seat snapping force.

I don't know the actual gear numbers for the tranny, so if someone out there does, please help me out. I don't want a tranny that is going to make me top out at 120, but I think 135 wouldn't be bad. I just put a set of 15 inch turbo rims on, so that will help a little.

He wants $800 for it, and it has had a recent rebuild, with Nismo parts. Practically all new.

All help is appreciated.

Chris Behney
President
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nismo sold at least 5 different gear clusters that I know of three are streetable and two I definetely don't recomend (except for all out road racing). Check and see if 5th gear is 1:1 or if it's a overdrive. If its a overdrive you can drive it on the streets with about half again as much shifting as your doing now (you'll also need at least 3.90:1 diff ratio). If the 5th gear is 1:1 you'll hate this tranny for driving around town plus you might need (depending on which gear cluster it is) at least 4.38:1 or lower diff ratio and constant arm movement on the shifter (these gear clusters are Ultra Close ratios). Your top speed would just break 100mph with 4.38's and a 1:1 5th gear.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff wrote:
-------------------------------
Nismo sold at least 5 different gear clusters that I know of three are streetable and two I definetely don't recomend (except for all out road racing). Check and see if 5th gear is 1:1 or if it's a overdrive. If its a overdrive you can drive it on the streets with about half again as much shifting as your doing now (you'll also need at least 3.90:1 diff ratio). If the 5th gear is 1:1 you'll hate this tranny for driving around town plus you might need (depending on which gear cluster it is) at least 4.38:1 or lower diff ratio and constant arm movement on the shifter (these gear clusters are Ultra Close ratios). Your top speed would just break 100mph with 4.38's and a 1:1 5th gear.

The 5th gear is not the 1:1, and I am running a 3.90 LSD. I should still have a top speed in the 130's then, right? Where would I go to find out the numbers on these trannies. It's so hard to get a hold of Nismo, here in the states. Getting their parts is even harder, that's why I am seriously thinking about this tranny, while it's right in fornt of me, instead of going through Nismo.

I am having problems with my tranny holding up to speed shifting, so it would be nice to upgrade to a stronger, more durable tranny, that will stop breaking the synchros.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.