ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 77 280z, which has an exhaust leak. From what I have read, it is probably a warped exhaust mainfold ( the leak is coming from the area closest to the firewall, which I am told is common in these zcars). I want to buy the 3-2 header from MS and their twice pipes. Has anyone ever tried this setup? I have look at the threads concerning headers and i'm not interested in debates about performance gains. THE FUMES ARE KILLLLLLLING ME AND I NEED TO DO SOMETHING. I am also trying to prep for future mods. Can I buy a better setup somewhere else? Don't mind noise I just don't want the muffler hanging down, I don;t like that look! Respectfully submitted to the ZCAR audience.MJVMIX

· Registered
4,034 Posts
to correct you, you got one header : ) Anyway, you'll be having same leaking problem unless you can get a good gasket or a proper installation. I wouldn't use the paper gasket that MSA includes with the header because it breaks to easy. I'm using metal compound gasket like OEM replacement with metal sims on the exhaust ports and they are the best. I can't tell you where to get them since I got it from a guy in TN. I'm sure if you post the question here, you can find answer.

· Registered
5,275 Posts
I have those exact headers on my 77 280z and they work great. Very nice rumble and very good power gains especially the low end. Motorsports headers the cheapest for the 280z that I could find and are also good quality as compared to Pacesetter headers that a lot of people have problems with. Good luck and go with the Motorsport headers.

· Registered
645 Posts
I have the MSA 6-1 Jet-Hot Coated

Can't complain at all. Fits well, looks great, sounds awesome, and is cool to the touch due to the jet-hot coating. You'll appreciate a cool header come August, especially in traffic.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone mentioned that i might be able to get a better gasket than the one provided by MSA for their 6-2 header. I have a 77 280. It was described as a metal compound gasket, like OEM with metal sims.

any info would be great.

· Registered
567 Posts
Dual exhaust on a L-Series Z will cost you horsepower. If you are stock otherwise, a Clifford Research 1-1/2 dia primary header collected into a single 2.5 exhaust will perform better above 3500 rpm than any comercially available header. The MSA 6-1 is marginally better than a stock manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.