ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 71 240 with the original ignition. In one of the parts boxes I found a bunch of Crane Cams ignition stuff. To be exact I found:

Crane Hi-6 ignition
Crane xr-700 electronic ignition
Crane Hi-6 tach adapter
Crane ps91 hi intensity coil

Does anybody have any experience or a opinion on this set up?? It looks complicated to install in comparison to the GM HEI retrofit. Someone help me evaluate what I have in this Crane stuff.

thanks,

· Registered
21 Posts
I have a Crane 3000 electronic ignition and PS60 coil on my 240Z. Although I had some problems with the tachometer reading after installation, that got worked out. On the XR700, I don't think you will have that problem. Replacing the dual points with electronic ignition was the best thing I have done for the Z - all the odd running idiosyncracies dissappeared after that.

· Registered
507 Posts
Ignition

You didn't mention what distributor you have. Do you have a ZX electronic distributor or a petronix style points conversion. You mention the HEI conversion, but there seems to be some confusion here. The HEI conversion is a conversion to electronic ignition and has not comparable to the parts you mentioned.

"It looks complicated to install in comparison to the GM HEI retrofit"
It's actually very simple to install. But again the HEI is a completely different purpose. Saying that this is more difficult to install by comparison doesn't make sense. It's like saying that your transmission is more dificult to install than your alternator.

All of the Crane ignition parts are "piggy-back" ignition components, rather than an electronic ignition setup. The work WITH a working ignition system to boost the spark discharged. The do not replace ignition components (with the exception of the coil).

If you have a points distributor, I would upgrade it to an electronic. I would use a ZX distributor rather than try to use the HEI conversion.

AFTER and only after this is done and functioning right....I would use the Hi-6, the coil and the tach adapter. THe XR700 is supposed to do the same functions as the hi-6 but it is the inferior model of the 2.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Re: Ignition

The XR700 is what gets rid of the points using an optical trigger that you install into the distributor, the HI-6 boosts the power output. It's a great set up. I have it on my autocross '71 240 with alot of other mods. It works great, and it also has a built in rev limiter that you set to what ever number you want in 500 rpm increments up to I believe 10,000.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. After downloading the installation instruction and carefully inventorying the parts, I find I'm short the optical trigger pieces that install into the distributor. I gotta see if these can be had from crane before I give this setup a shot.

I'm still curious if there is an advantage in installing this crane optical trigger system over converting to a 280 electronic distributor with GM HEI conversion.

If I go with this crane set up (which I just might since I have most the of the parts), is there a recommended rpm value to set the rev limit to??

thanks again,

soho..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.