ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the subject: '78 280z 2+2 5 speed

The Situation: So we just got done throwing in another 5 speed transmission, re hooked everything and prepared for the test run. I turn the car on, and I can't get it to go into gear. So with a little detective work we figured that the if someone moves the clutch fork manually then gears could be engaged. So we look at the slave. It is functioning, and it worked fine before I put this other transmission in. We considered adjusting it, but can't find any adjusting nuts or anything the book describes, so we put a larger bar in the slave and at first this "projobed, ghetto rig" seems to work, but then we notice that the gears are now slipping, we are just keeping the **** thing from engaging all the way.

The Questions: Are these transmissions different enough to need a different slave? Is this slave adjustable? And HOW? Any other possible problems? (We didn't put the throw-out bearing in backwards did we?)

· Registered
2,284 Posts
Re: Need a Quick Answer Plz!! trans, clutch, or s

Hi Tony-----------You might be having difficulty due to the throwout bearing collar not matching the trans you just installed. The best procedure when swapping trannys is to use the collar from the car the replacement trans came from. There have been some posts to this effect lately, and Eric Neyerlin has some pictures posted of the various collars at www.zparts.com that clearly show these differences. Hope this helps you.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.