ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally driven my "72 and I would like to know what some of you have chosen for tires in the back. I have an L28 stroker w/ at least 180hp to the rear wheels from what I can estimate from this website and seat of the pants. I have a 5-speed close ratio and a 3.90 gear. Right now I have 205/55-16's mounted on 7 inch rims. Unfortunately in order not to spin them violently or burn up the clutch I have to pretty much stomp on it from idle and it still will spin the tires. And shifting to second at 6000rpm(and I should get power even highr with my mikunis and cam) sets the wheels spinning and fishtails it. Exciting but not necessarily quick. I think I can go to a 225/50-16 on these rims without rubbing. Since this is a hobby car maybe I could go with stickier rubber? Or can someone with similar power to weight give tell me what they find gives a better acceleration time ie, smooth of the line or sling shot?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Get a grip, don't dump the clutch!

I have 225/50-16 soft compound tires and still can light 'em up in the first two gears. If you have the horsepower and the torque, little is going to stop that except how you apply your power and when.

If you set up your strut dampening to allow for a quick squat, some of that goes away as you tranfer weight to the rear quickly.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I have a little more power and get good traction with 225/50/15's using sticky rubber , tires make a huge difference. But the best thing to do is learn how to control your feet. In reading your post "Unfortunately in order not to spin them violently or burn up the clutch I have to pretty much stomp on it from idle and it still will spin the tires." this makes no sense. Why would you stomp on it if your trying not to spin the tires? I know what you mean, come off the line at idle then hit it, yeah but you should still slip the clutch a little till you feel it start to grip better.

Don't be on the gas so hard in between shifts, let the clutch gets its grip then put the pedal down - powershifting is not good the time you spend spinning and hazing your clutch won't win any races.

You can set up the suspension too. Run linear rate springs in the front and progressive in the rear. If you've ever tried to launch with a MR2 turbo or AWD eclipse turbo you know they usually jump 2 cars instantly well my friend drives an MR2 and we race alot, I've got to were I can jump him off the line in my Z it takes alot of practice and good control on the pedals. I also run the same tranny an rear as you.

Matt

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I knew if I worded my situation like I didn't know what I was doing I would get a good response. I think I'll go with the 225, I have pirellis but I will switch to something stickier like BFgoodrich maybe.

Definitely this is a different car than a stock 240 and you can't wind up to 4000 and sidestep the clutch like my old tired motor.

I regular tokicos and susp. techn. springs. Then are non adjustable and non progressive. I wish I had thought of that 10 years ago when I bought that stuff, but it was expensive then(eibach,konis,illuminas).

Matt- did you change the tranny speedo thingy-which color?

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I hope that didn't sound mean, didn't intend to.

Yeah, my Z is totally different from when it was mostly stock, efi with large throttle, cold air and exhaust - other misc junk. I used to be able to stay on the gas almost completely through an autoX course - now no way donut city.

I have never had a set of BFG's I liked especially on my Z they have always felt "wormy" I purposely make the car sway and you feel the tires swaying seconds after. Kumho's are nice and inexpensive, I really like my new Falkens too.

Yes my speedo gear is changed but I had a tranny built with larger bearings and revised synchros, anyway the builder swapped my gear so I don't know. It seems like theres a listing on Z -home.

Matt

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I just ordered what should br the correct speedo cog for the 3.90, a 17 tooth gear. Anyway I hope it is correct. My friend has a Miata, and he has been told that Toyos are very good tires. Have you heard about those at the track?

My father just got an exhaust put on my Z for a Christmas present (lucky me), However I just hate it. It sounds good, but it looks like crap. I had a two and ahalf inch Motorsport set-up with a Flowmaster, it was loud but all I needed was a Super trap tip or a tube muffler in between. These guys told my Dad they would do this Dynomax tuned system. I was excited. They charged him almost $400. All I see is various width pipe, maybe 2" pipe, to a cheapo looking turbo muffler(like the one that originally came with the MSA system, which I threw out) with a little cheapo chrome tip, that isn't even centered to the exhaust port on the body. I'm so pissed off!! Plus the were closed when I picked up the car, I want my other system back.

They told my Dad it would be one of the welded mufflers, like a Flowmaster, and it wouold have two and one half inch "aluminized" pipe and a nice fat exhuast tip. AAArghhh! Sorry to vent. I gotta go @#[email protected] somebody out at the muffler shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.