ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal. I have a NA, very clean car. In much, much, much better shape than most 300's going down the road. When I bought the thing 10 years ago I was looking for a turbo but everything was junk that I could find (I'm very particular), so I bought this NA. The car has been sitting for a few years and now I've decided to put a couple of bucks into it. Again, keep in mind the car is in great shape but could use sprucing up.

I'm going to paint it, maybe 2K bucks and rebuild the engine (3K?). No one seems to be able to give me any straight forward advice on engine mods (porting, polishing, cams etc) because its a NA. So let me ask, how difficult is a conversion to a turbo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
you'll have to find a turbo parts car FIRST, then it's just a matter of many many many hours of labor.
since you said you want to rebuild your motor, well, you'll rebuild the turbo motor instead, then while the engine is out you'll need to swap the front cross member since the turbo motor has different motor mounts, and if you want to do it right you'll swap the wiring harness from the ECU to the engine bay, the N/A one will work but you'll lose your Knock sensor, but it will work.
if it was me and you have "few" bucks to spend, specially when you're talking about paying 2-3K to rebuild the engine, is to go out there and find a turbo car, thats the easiest thing to do, ofcourse it's all up to you at the end but from what you wrote it only comon sence to go buy a turbo car since you have the cash to do it and sell your clean N/A and add that money to the turbo car fund and get even a cleaner one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree, if you're planning on spending $2k - $3k then buy a nice turbo car!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best course of action depends a great deal on what you want from the car. If you're like me and have put a lot of work and sweat into your car, but just want to make it the best you can, then do a bunch of research as to proper turbo selection, intake, exhaust, cams, engine rebuild, fuel control, etc.

I have a NA 2+2 auto that I am in the process of converting to a 5-speed turbo. I know that it would be easier and probably cheaper to buy a turbo Z and a boost controller and call it a day, but I can afford to put it on stands for a year while I rebuild the transmission that I received, rebuild the engine, and get a aftermarket turbo to get me into the power range that I am seeking. (targeting 400 hp, happy with 350+)

Some good places to start reading...

http://www.z31.com/modifications.shtml -> Z31.com Modifications page
http://z31.com/tfaq/ -> Z31.com Turbo FAQ
http://z31.com/board/faqyou.php3 -> Z31.com FAQ You (has na -> turbo how-to, look for it and read it)
http://www.mygen.com/users/dbruce/m...Engine Air Flow and Turbo Compressor Maps.htm -> VG30ET Air Flow Map...use to determine turbo compressor sizing

That should give you a good starting point for considerations on what to do. Also read up on the z31.com message board, they have good info and will usually help enlighten you if you ask intelligent questions with some thought.

Brian

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
if someone knows the pain going from a N/A to Turbo it is Hybrid :)
you forgot to tell him that even after all that time and the 18K it's not done yet ;-)
hehehe, sorry had to rub it in :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am just finishing up a NA to turbo conversion. I had a pretty decent 85 NA with 206K miles and have been rebuilding a turbo motor with a few "extras" for the past year. I will attest that it is a lot of work. I bought a wrecked 85 turbo as a donor car. Except for the machine shop boring out the block and doing a valve job, I did everything else myself. If you dont mind the work; then go for it. You could probably rebuild the engine for 3K or less, but you will need to also buy all of the conversion parts if you dont buy a donor car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.