ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to provide an update on my N47 head project. I asked several on this board about removing the liners and because of the response I almost didn't attempt to pull them. As it has turned out it really isn't that tough. Just need a good plan and some guts.
The first one I got out took me over an hour. Since then the rest have gone easier with the last one only taking about 20 minutes.
First I use a Dremmel tool with a cut off wheel and reach into the port to cut the first inch or so. the piece comes out looking like a ring.
Next I use a sharp chisel and cut down each side of the liner as far in as I can reach sometimes using a flash light to get a better look into the area where I'm cutting. Then it's a matter of continuing to cut with the chissel until I can see a little of the liner under the valve seat start to buckle. When I get to that point I use a screwdriver to pry the liner away from under the seat all around the parimeter of the seat so it can be lifted up over the valve guide.
All the time the liner needs to be folded in upon itself so as to make it small enough to be pushed out the exhaust port from the valve seat opening.
I'm not saying it is easy but it can be done. The more I worked at it the better I got.
With the liner out I use a Dremmel with a high speed steel burr to take off the raised cast in bosses that helped to keep the liner centered. After that I used the flap type sanding wheel mounted in a variable speed hand drill to smooth out the ports.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top