ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Ive heard its a bad idea. Unless you've had the entire motor freshly rebuilt. And if you use too much of a shot you will fry the pistons. I was in the z shop near me getting mine back and a guy called who was having loss off power above 80. He has a 2000 maxima and he used a larger shot of nos than the manufactures calls for. The shop is sure he burnt his pistons. Just what ive heard anyways. Laterzz Mark

· Registered
992 Posts
i agree that NOS is very hard on a motor...but if you have your motor built well and use a proper amount and don't go nuts with it i think it would work for a while. just my .02.
Chris

· Registered
2,280 Posts
No man, i think u should rig up 4 bottles at a time and shoot them all at once dude,
Just like those ricers in Fast and furious.
No really, be carefull with that stuff, i don't know if shooting NOS at a pair of SU's is a great idea, Maybe triple Webbers, on a completely rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted engine, even then expect to rebuild in a couple of months. I had a 510 in the 80's that i installed Nitrous in (dual webbers, 240 flat top pistons, 280 valves, Shadbolt cam etc.) it was kinda like being shot out of cannon. Fun but after three times had to rebuil the motor again.

· Registered
539 Posts
Nitrous will NOT destroy a motor if properly tuned!!! There is NO abnormal wear except what comes with the added power. If a nitrous motor is tuned correctly and makes 250 hp at the wheels, it will last just as long as a N/A motor with the same 250hp. The only way to melt/crack pistons and piston ring lands, blow head gaskets, etc. is to detonate in a BIG way. A properly tuned system will NOT detonate. The main area people run into trouble with is spraying too much nitrous (engine can not handle the extra power) or improper tune. Your fuel system must be sufficient, correct heat range spark plugs used, lower ignition timing (depending on size of shot). To keep your tune the same the nitrous bottle pressure must be kept the same as well. I would also suggest learning to "read" your spark plugs for detonation (pre-ignition) as it may save your enigne. With these issues addressed, dual SU's can run nitrous setups very succesfully. You will have to run a fogger kit but it can be set up several different ways. Any more questions?

Kyle

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
I agree!

Shaver has posted twice now in the past month on how NO2 "blows" motors.
NO2 only blows motors if you get STUPID with it.
I put NO2 on my 260 with 88,000 miles on it. It now has over 110,000 on it, heavily used, with no ill effects.
Everything Kyle has said is absolutely true!
As for info, take a look in the archives, this comes up weekly, and has been detailed to death.One day I will post some photos of an older setup ON DUAL SU's so everybody who says it can't be done can just shut up...

· Registered
2,280 Posts
Re: I agree!

Oh really, i would like to see where else i wrote that Nitrous blows motors, this is the first time i have ever responded to a post on the subject, as far as i know! And i concede that TonyD you are the expert on this subject. So i will not further infuriate you by saying anything about this set up.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Sorry Shaver! :-(

Yer right, I got you mixed up with Shane280ZX that posted on last weeks' NOS question (about suitability on a triple Mikuini setup...)

I knew there was an "S" in there, somewhere...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.