ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 87 n/a 300z and was wondering if the n/a motor is a good engine to work with for great horsepower gains, or is the turbo conversion the best route to go to get the right bang for your buck?
I'm thinking about converting the car over the summertime while I have time to break stuff and learn the hard way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also what should I expect to pay for a parts car (turbo) and hidden costs?

·
Registered
657 Posts
turbo is the best for modding..... you'll only get slight increases with the NA. the most ive seen out of a NA was like 190rwhp and about 240lbft....
You should be able to find a wrecked doner car for like $300-$700.. just make sure the front isnt too bad, youll need the front crossmember... and you might also want to swap the differential and half shafts.. I would plan on spending $1500 or so on this if you do it cheap....this is only from what ive caught reading post, but If you really want to know ask 88hybrid, he has done this allready and has a really nice car......

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Don't try to trick out your N/A.
1. Sell your n/a and buy a turbo (easiest/cheapest option).
2. If you can't do opt. 1 buy a totaled body turbo parts car (under $1000 if you can help it).
3. Check out FAQ's like the one below for guidance.

http://tboz.no-ip.com:10000/300ZX/TurboSwap/TurboSwap.html

I would not recommend finding parts seperately if you go the swap route.

Take your time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I agree with you Stu85, but someone on here also told me that the n/a engine can handle about 6 psi boost w/o any mods. Also what upgrades can I do to the car now that will greatly help once turboed? Is there a special intake/exhaust system to use, etc. Also are the differentials etc. needed to be replaced or just smart to do? Also suspension I have heard is different and that is one of the first upgrades I plan on sinking money into. should I try to do a turbo suspension on my existing n/a

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It is true that the n/a engine can handle 6 psi and even a bit more but the most important factor for myself and many zcar.com goers is money $$ and effort.

It will be 10 times more complicated for you to attempt to whip a turbo onto your non-turbo motor and deal with all of the unexpected problems, money,etc. that you will run into.

It is a world easier to do it the way that I described. The compression ratio is different on the turbo motor for a good reason.

There are a good number more parts that are different when comparing a turbo model to a non-turbo model. Having a junked parts car is your best bet because you can simply pull the part you need at your convenience.

You do not need to replace the differential but there are other differentials on the turbo and SS models that would be better and it wouldn't be a bad idea. It is more work and I would focus on one item at a time.

There isn't much you can do now. You can do your intake (K&N air filter or similar) and you may be able to upgrade to 2.5" cat-back exhaust but you would really benefit from 3" exhaust once it is a turbo. The problem is you don't want a 3" exhaust on a non-turbo. It's tricky!

It's not so much a "turbo" suspension that you should aim for. I am not well versed in that area but there are a lot of options when it comes to suspension most of which are differential upgrades to LSD's and better shocks (I hear Tokico shocks are a favorite).

Good luck - I hope you have some time to read!! I type reallllyy fast.

·
Registered
248 Posts
my n/a runs 14psi boost with an intercooler..beating the **** out of it constantly and it runs perfectly

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 86N/A and I've put alittle over 3 grand in the motor and about 5,500 dollars in the whole car. No at first I didn't want to spend that much on the car, but my timing belt broke and messed up my engine pretty good, and I only payed 600 dollars for the whole car, and the engine work alone, just to get it running was around 1300 dollars. But I love my Z and I just had to fix it. So I went all out and had it all done. The shop bored and honed my block and ported and polished my heads and put all new valves and valve springs in it. It cost me around 2500 dollars to do that and it made it alot quicker but its still no turbo. I could of bought a nice turbo car for what I have spent on my Z but I still wouldn't trade my Z for anything, so do what you gotta do man, Just love your Z.
T K Z

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.