ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to tow my daughter's '81 Turbo 175 miles back home after a fuel pump problem stranded her. The pump hasn't quit entirely, but, from the sound of it, is pumping very slowly. Due to the weather I have not checked it yet to see if it is getting all 12 volts from the relay and is bad, or if it is just not getting full voltage from the relay. In anticipation of a bad pump I pulled a n/a pump from the local yard today for $10.95 - a bit better than the $249 new turbo pump from MSA. Worth a try, I figure. My question obviously is this: What can I expect from a Turbo with a n/a fuel pump installed? Since the fuel pressure regulator on the intake manifold is what determines the ultimate fuel pressure, why or how is the n/a pump different? It certainly looks the same.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am searching, too.

In the searches that I am currently doing I found that the n/a provides 43-64 psi and the Turbo pump 61-71 psi with "more flow". Since the car needs less than 40 psi max, should not it run the same with the n/a pump? Ours is a bone stock '81 Turbo that is not run hard and, thus, the "more flow" part is probably not an issue with this car.

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Re: Am searching, too.

i believe that the FI pump actually puts out like 80psi, but once it makes it through the damper, the filter, and all the lines, the pressure drops to what you specified. so you're looking at a 20-30psi loss in the lines. i don't think the carb pump will work. from what it sounds like, maybe the inlet screen on your old pump is clogged. more than likely. best thing to do though is try the cheapest things first. but fuel starvation can run the car lean, which means running it hot, and in extreme cases, you could burn a valve. the fuel pressure regulator only assures that it is not over-pressured, doesn't build up pressure to a certain point. think of as a safety blow-off valve. and with boost, i don't think i'd run it lean.

· Registered
433 Posts
Re: Am searching, too.

from what i've read, the NA pump should be fine at stock boost levels. the turbo pump does flow better, but will not hurt it if it's stock. you could also take it off and clean the screen out with carb cleaner. it's probably full of junk and varnish. if you're a little more adventurous, you can also take the pump apart and clean out the inside too. did this to mine and brought it back from the dead. also check the fuel filter, of course...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.