ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, boys. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my n/a engine top to bottom. My first question is- Should I go Nissan as far as rings and seals and gaskets, or am I okay with aftermarket stuff? My second question is-What can I modify for a little extra power on my engine? I was thinking MSA headers and camshafts. What problems would I be running into as far as passing smog and daily driving? I don't expect huge gains and I'm full aware of limitations compared to turbo. Any advice on these and other mods I didn't mention would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I have to disagree with red. I pass emissions just fine with aftermarket cams and headers. As long as you don't live in Cali and adhere to CARB requirements, you should be fine. In fact, I was still WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY below the acceptable emissions limits with my setup.

As far as rings, bearings and gaskets are concerned:
1) Nissan OEM for all gaskets and bearings.
2) Nissan OEM for piston rings UNLESS you have changed the bore diameter, in which case you'll want to consult with one of the guys from Z31performance.com, as there are other options for piston rings which are more suitable for these applications.

What are your goals with your N/A? I've already done all the research as far as how to build a performance oriented N/A VG, I'd be happy to discuss in detail some of the things you should be looking at if you'd like. Just shoot me an email.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have mentioned I live in Cali. I passed the smog check a little over a year ago with 220,000 original miles. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
If you live in cali, you'll probably be fine with the cams as long as you don't go too extreme (any MSA cams should be fine, but ask them first) but not with the headers.

The headers DO have the necessary EGR port required for emissions, but I don't think they come with a CARB certification sticker. Again, contact MSA and ask them, they may actually have a sticker. Mine don't, but I didn't ask for or need one.

·
Registered
493 Posts
jr123184 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I should have mentioned I live in Cali. I
> passed the smog check a little over a year ago
> with 220,000 original miles. What do you guys
> think?

I think it is against the law to fart while riding a bicycle in The Peoples Republic Kaliphornia.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
johnZboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it is against the law to fart while riding
> a bicycle in The Peoples Republic Kaliphornia.

It is a methane emission, so it will need to be tested and you will need a license to do so unless you are a classic in which case you will be grandfathered in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.