Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Lately, I've seen a lot of posts comparing these three mods. Some like V8, others quickly point out the advantages of turbo, and yet many like the fact that a nitrous system can be installed with a relatively small budget. As an owner of a 260V8 Z, a Celica alltrac Turbo
( with a T3/T4, Arias forged pistons, custom build head, Spearco intercooler, and many HKS electronics parts), and a Honda CRX with 60hp NOS, I have the following thoughts. I think that we should NOT compare these mods, but instead focus on what we really want to do with our cars. If turbo is what you want to put in your Z, well go for it. If you think that V8 is cool, then install one in your Z. If laughing gas is your choice, hey have it set-up soon. My point is that we should not criticize others for the choice they make. If anyone thinks he/she can do better with any one of the above mods, enjoy it, you are blessed but please dont go around saying that your choice is the best choice. We should remember that at the extreme level, any one of these mods can produce huge amounts of power. I am new to this forum, but once too often that I see people claim that their cars are the fastest, or can be built with the least amount of $. To all of these people - I am happy for you all, but please keep it down. Everyone can be pround of his/her car project, but to say that your project is the best and everybody else's not as good is very rude. I dont mean to stir up any kind of argument by posting this, I just would like to share my opinion with ya all. Please let me know if I am out of line here. Thanks.
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Huy,
I think you are right for the most part. I think that doing a mod to a Zcar is cool as long as you have a plan. My goal for the V8Z I built was overall performance and durability. I wanted max top end with good brakes and handling. I do a lot of car guys events, which put me on road courses, so I wanted my car to have plenty of usable HP and torque.
I think that people need to understand that doing a project right and spending the money up front will save them money in the long run, and as long as people uderstand the limitations of their respecitve project and live in the real world then we can all play well together. My beaf is when people make claims about V8 and turbo mods without really doing them or experiencing them 1st hand.
Cool that you have all three bases covered.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
well i am just looking for a bit of sprited conversation about all the different appps in building a z car

i am a dedicated stright line racer only not taking anything away from road racing all i ever have seen is the good old boys in their pony's camero.s and mopars so i decided to go a different way and i am having fun in show these old guys that a six cly can and does match up it makes them crazy

i am in austin texas but if ever we meet i would love to line up next to you would be great fun

this is what i am looking for a little sprited crap all for the fun of it

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Bad a$$ N/A from another planet?</b>

Boy I must seem like I'm from another planet! I really love my triple Weber 2.9L. I really like the look of my relatively neat engine bay with my mean 45mm DCOE's. People really respect my Z when I tell them I have 1 carburator per cylinder even the muscle car crowd (which is big in my area) The sound of my Weberized 6cyl at 8000rpm is very intimidating to the competion. Though sometimes I'm mistaken for a V8 especially after I stomp some slowstang/or fireturkey. I agree there are cheaper ways to get big hp but for classic styling the Webers are hard to beat. I personally am not really into 1/4 mile stuff but I do like my top speed even though I don't get there often. I have designed the car to be a daily driver and for road course lapping which I get to do about 2-3 times a year. I figure if I get beat in a drag race chances are that I can whoop him good in the curvies!
BTW there is one 350 v8 280zx and one supercharged 240 in my club and neither one can touch MY N/A!
ZR8ED.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>How about Slowaro ; )</b>

No offence Opie. That's right.. you've got one with a 455 in it don't ya. Just they aren't that popular around here. It's a big Mustang area as well as Novas and Chevelles (go figure because there is one Huge GM plant in this area.) Only a couple are done up at all and in the 10 years I have had my Z I have yet to be beat by one. Sorry
ZR8ED ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
ZR8ED Take it to the track and post the #'s

Take a night off and hit the track. BTW is your 2.9L a big bore or are you using the diesel stroker crank? Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: ZR8ED Take it to the track and post the #'s

The motor was overbored to get it to 2.9L. How much exactly I don't know. My engine building experience is a big fat 0. As far as the track goes I certainly will. I'm still waiting for the diff repairs. My mechanic is delayed getting to my car because a project car is taking more time to complete than expected. So for now I'm SOL. The day the car is ready again I will test it with my new G TECH.
ZR8ED. (starting to get frustrated with these delays)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.