Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To everybody:

I apologize in advance for the length of this, but it's important. Here goes:

There was a recent post concerning how to hollow out Catalytic Converters. I own a '72 240-Z with 2.8 liter, 5-Speed, K&N Filter, 6 into 1 Headers, 2½" Exhaust, etc. I live in Germany so I can blast along at 134mph on the Autobahn (lucky me) and you know what?

My car is spewing **** ("Scheise" in Deutsch) into the atmosphere. I'm thinking about INSTALLING A MODERN, HIGH-FLOW CATALYTIC CONVERTER! If this means I can only do 130mph, so what?! People just don't seem to understand the damage we are doing to our atmosphere. Jack-asses like Rush Limbaugh get on the radio talking about how "Mother Earth" can handle anything we do to her, with NOTHING to back up his claims and people believe him. It's incredible.

My sister is a research scientist at Duke University. For the last 10 years, she's been studying the effects Global Warming is having on Bio-Diversity. What she has been finding out is not good.

Back to my Z: When I'm flying along at 130+ mph, occasionally there is a screaming sound that flies by me on my left-hand side. Happens 2 or 3 times a week. Its invariably a Porsche Turbo doing about 150 or 160 mph. But at least I don't have to worry about being poisoned by its exhaust. Porsche Turbos achieve that kind of speed and performance with...
Catalytic Converters. If Porsches can do it, why can't we?

Now perhaps installing a Cat on an older non-Cat equipped car seems a little radical, but don't go removing the things from cars that already have them (except for racing or drag racing on the track). If you're really that concerned about absolute performance, then spend some money on a High Performance High Flow Aftermarket Catalytic Converter (by now everybody should have learned how to spell the word!).

A little more food for thought:

I used to own a 1978 Trans/Am with the 400ci Big Block Motor. In an attempt to get more power and speed, I took the Cat off, punched the material out of it with a broomstick, and reinstalled it. Results:

1) The car was louder.

2) The car polluted.

3) See 1) and 2).

That's all folks.

0-60 stayed the same.

¼ mile stayed the same.

Top speed stayed the same.

And this was with a 6.6 liter engine that I think would tend to route alot more exhaust thru its Cat then a 2.8 liter would.

Think about it.

Be responsible.

Sincerely,

John M
ZAutobahn

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: My RESPONSE to "Hollow out Cad. (sic) Con

There, now nobody else has to waste time correcting my spelling error (it was actually just a typo).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: My responce to "Hollow out Cad. (sic) Con

Excellent post. While I admit I am guilty myself ('77Z, no cat, no egr), it is one to make you think for sure.

I will say however my car is NOT a daily driver, and probably gets 2 - 3 hours of driving time MAX a week.

Again, good post...

Brett

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Global warming = BS

I think the idea of getting into a debate over global warming on here is ridiculous and I don't want to see it happen.
The fact of the matter is however, that while there is evidence that some global warming may be occuring, all the evidence points to mother nature as the culprit, not us and our cars. Volcanic activity is still the number one cause of ozone layer damage, not CFC's or any other man-made or used product.
I agree that being socially aware and resonsible for your actions is of utmost importance, but let's not use this forum as a soapbox to judge the political correctness of peoples actions.
Modified cars are such a small percentage of the vehicles out there (jets that belch out LOTS of pollutants included) that a few hundred guys hollowing out their cats won't make a bit of difference.
Sorry I digressed to this, but I'm sick of hearing this stuff. So I'll shut up now. I will try not to respond to anymore PC posts. I just hope there aren't any to respond to.
By the way, sounds like you've got a **** of a nice Z.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CO2 is not a pollutant! Truth from scientist, long

I'm a biologist and researcher for the Center for Global Food Issues. Some facts: Plants need CO2, and it is a natural component of the atmosphere (albeit currently a relatively minor one. Most of the atmosphere is comprised of Nitrogen gas, 78%). Fact 2. Global warming is occurring, but it started over 100 years ago, before CO2 levels started to rise due to burning of fossil fuels.

So far, no one can say whether the observed warming is being impacted by the CO2 change. In fact, there is debate about how much if any warming is occuring. Ground based stations, mostly in heat-sink cities, say warming. More accurate satellites say no warming. Current computer models, the best to date, all now predict a peak warming of only 3-4 degrees Fahrenheit. Much less than the catastrophic predictions of 10 years ago. We had this level of warming only a few hundred years ago, 800-1300AD, and that period is referred by climate historians as "The Little Climate Optimum." That was when Greenland got its name because the Vikings pastured cattle on what is now ice sheets. England supported a wine industry (much too cold for that now), the Anisazi Indian and Mayan cultures flourished, only to disappear when the weather changed (naturally) and the world went into what is refered to as "The Little Ice Age," (1400-1850)

Now, back to CO2: the plants upon which all life on earth depend on evolved in an environment in which there was much more CO2 in our atmosphere. It is only very recently (in a relative geologic and evolutionary time frame) that the CO2 content of the atmosphere has dropped to its current level. This occured as plants and algea in the ocean fixed the CO2 into sugars and carbohydrates which were eventually incorporated into coal and petroleum reserves. The change in atmospheric CO2 content has had some definite negative effects, as this puts a strain on plants. You see, plant utilize CO2 to create biomass. The less CO2, the harder the plants must work to fix biomass (mostly carbohydrate sugars). So, they must open the stomata (pores in the leaves through which they breath both water vapor and gas exchange) wider in order to get more CO2. This means they also lose more water, so the water use efficiency drops and the plants are more vulnerable to wilting and death by drought or water shortage. Obviously, the makeup of ecological communities has shifted to plants which are better at using CO2.

There is no SCIENTIFIC evidence that the modest levels of CO2 increase (relative to historical CO2 levels) will have anything but a positive impact for humans on the earth's weather or plant and animal communities.

The catalytic converter on a car does not reduce CO2 output, the gas of most concern for those concerned about "global warkming." The catalytic converter reduces unburned hydrocarbon output. I may also go with a high-flow cat, but for a different reason. I hate the gas fumes which my car now produces.

hope i didn't bore anyone too much.
Alex
Director of Research and Education
Center for Global Food Issues
Hudson Institute
Zcar lover and hard driver!!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I LOVE this stuff!

Where else can we have an intelligent debate on the merits of catalytic convertors??!! I am in the process of acquiring my first Zcar and this forum has been the source of more real information than all the mechanics in New Orleans. Now I'm improving my education as well. Is this a great country or what!?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: I LOVE this stuff!

Actually, not that I thought otherwise, but it always impresses me as to the diversity of folks that we have on here. We seem to have people from all walks of life active in this forum.

Brett

·
Registered
625 Posts
That was some great info ALEX!!

Its nice to get such a great education on this forum!! I loved the stuff about the Vikings and Greenland, I never knew about any of that or England's wine industry! Thanks for the low down! Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Catalytic radiators

Has anyone heard any new info on the catalytic radiators that are supposed to be going into production?
I've read a few things on them. They have some sort of coating that reacts with the airflow through them to break down pollutants. Into what, I don't remember. Not sure of specifics, self-sacrificing, etc. Very interesting since it uses the heat already produced and loses no HP.
Great post Alex, very informative. Glad to see I didn't get flamed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dunno Alex

I thought you really knew yer stuff until you said
"global warkming" you had me fooled. BTW if you have a picture of your 2000 you could e-mail to me I'd appreciate it. My girlfriend LOVES them and we couldn't find a descent one on the web

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<b>RE: I'm ready for Global Warming-- Burrrrrr....

Thank you for your posts, everyone. I think it's not only ok to segway from the z-chat once in a while, but very stimulating.

Where else can you read about wingnuts and Rush Limbaugh at the same time? Well, maybe that wasn't a good example....

I, personally like Rush and my hollowed out Cat. But, I'm a conservative in the Wild West of Utah. Which, by the way, has plenty of open twisty roads to open up the Zs on.

Summer's approaching, which brings with it global warming (at least in the Northern Hemishpere) so bring your Zs and see the beauty that it creates west of the Rockies.

Have a warm day,

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RE: I'm not impressed one bit

JUST KIDDING! :) Alex, I wish we could ALL write like that. And I just know that you wrote that off the cuff. Anyone else I know would have had to actually open a book or something!

Steve G

PS - With so many Datsuns, you should make a little photo website to show us the goodies.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yup and AL Gore invented the internet too ! LOL

Don't belive the crapola Al Gore spews out about global warming. This idiot actually stated in his book "Earth in the Balance " that cars were more of a threat to the environment than nuclear war.BTW anyone catch his statement a while back that he invented the internet! LOLOLOLOL Then this week he claimed to have been responsible for a new program that protects kids from bad internet sites and his staff threatened the makers of the program that they better back him up on his claim because he had a long memory!! Sheesh At least Bubba tells lies that hard to prove as being lies. Gore needs some schooling. Later,norm

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: global warming

As another person of science I enjoyed Alex's post but perhaps I should point out what wasn't said as it seems to have gotten lost in jabs at Al Gore. The null hypothesis here is that the trend toward global warming is not caused by the internal combustion engine. The hypothesis of course being that it is. Alex has eloquently said that global warming doesn't exist and that the fact that some can point to a warmer planet is probably a cyclical pattern. I agree completely. This doesn't mean that your car is not polluting and that pollution isn't a detrimental thing for Planet Earth. Pollution has many components and CO2 is only one. Nitrogen and Hydrocarbons are also components. Some new cars are so efficient that when compared on a graph they appear to be pollution free. There is no doubt that lakes and rivers aren't as clean now as they were 30 years ago and there is a higher incidence of lung related problems. It may not be getting warmer but I wouldn't hollow out that "Cadilliac converter" just yet.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Listen to Dr Kovorkian

I remember reading recently (AutoWeek maybe?)about a book that was a guide to commiting suicide.
Although that's quite disturbing, a very interesting fact is what it said about newer cars. It said to avoid newer cars if you want to lock the garage door and sufficate yourself. The book stated that most newer cars don't produce enough carbon monoxide to kill you, just knock you out until they find you.
If that's not a testimony to the progress that has been made to clean up auto emisions, then I don't know what is.
We need more, but the auto makers are doing their jobs. hats off to them. (In this respect at least.)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RE: CO2 is not a pollutant! Truth from scientist,

Dear Alex,
If you're interested, I can ask my sister to send you her research. Your point was quite accurate about what a Cat does and does not do. I was using the Global Warming issue as an example of the effects of polution because that is the thing my sister's research involves. I don't agree with your opinion that Global Warming is not a problem. I agree with my sister's opinion because I know that she has spent years studying this issue. I notice that your area of expertise is not related to atmospheric studies. Her's is. All the same, I thoroughly enjoyed your post as well as all the others.

Sincerely,

John M

P.S. Hey everybody:

1) I do agree with Rush Limbaugh's fiscal ideas.

2) I voted for Reagan, Bush, and Dole.

3) Of course CO2 is not a pollutant. But Carbon Monoxide is. Anyone care to debate that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.