ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so God blessed me with the ability to get to Georgia and get that 87 300zx turbo. I flew out there with my dad and we drove it back, actually he only drove about 150 miles cuz thats all i allowed, i love that car it is awesome its in great shape on the inside and the engine i believe too. We ran the ac practically the whole way here and it was perfect. The oil pressure light came on when we were in el paso so i took it to the nissan dealership there. The oil pressure gauge said it was fine though. they looked at it and said the sensor was pretty new that it had been replaced and the light never came on when they looked at it so i think they just had to play with it a lil. drove home perfect. ok so now i have some questions:

The guy said it had a manual boost controller, its this lil thing that has to vaccum lines going to it and u pop it up and turn it clockwise to turn up the boost or whatever, but my dads friend said that it looked like a piece of junk so he unconnected the vaccum line and hooked it up somewhere else, now the car doesnt seem to pull as hard at first but seems to spool up kinda quick and now when i downshift it is much smoother. So which is better ?? Someone might need to look at it ?

Next question: The car was originally equipped with an alarm and the light that says security still blinks and then stops like it is set and when i mess with the door and windows it doesnt go off is there a way to fix this??

what exactly is a pop off valve? How much hp does an intercooler give you? and if anyone has any additional info on these cars ( the 87 turbos) it is greatly appreciated thanks for reading and ur input

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The only thing I can help with is the alarm. Have you read the factory service manual that came with the car in glove box? The car has a factory built in alarm that has a security light in the dash. It blinks when you open the door and stops when you close the door. The alarm is activated when you lock the door which causes the security light to blink warning theives that the car has an alarm. To my knowledge it has sensors at the hood, trunk, windows, and ignition. Try and read about it in the manual to get familiar with it.

So what happened to your non turbo 300zx? Didn't you have a 300zx and 280zx?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i still have them (the other 300zx and 280zx) I just have to finish them and sell them, that was the deal i made with my dad, so that he would sign on the loan with me for this one. but im gonna try and work things out so i sell it to my mom or neighbor to keep them close

and as for pics its the one in the classifieds for sale for 3500. its like a darker red it said he was selling because he had to get rid of it bcuz he found another car he wanted (corvette)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
He disconnected the boost controller. So whatever boost setting it was at when you purchased the car is now set back to stock. Stock boost is some where around 5-7 psi. With the boost controller you could have been boosting around 10 psi. Then the boost controller was removed and now you are at stock boost.

If you want the car to last longer keep the boost at the stock level. The other option would be to build an intercooler system for your Z (they don't make kits for our cars any more ) Then with an intercooler you can safely boost more without detonating (look up detonation online)

WARNING: if you do decide to intercool your Z and turn the boost up you will get addicted to boost and end up working countless hours making your Z faster. HAHA : )

Here are some links to my site and others. They can help.
<http://www.nomercz.com>
<http://www.nomercz.com/links.html>

Post Edited (Jul 14, 10:35am)

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
even without the intercooler you should still be able to run 8-10psi of boost safely with intake and exhuast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.