ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I noticed my stock turbo was leaking coolant at a steady stream when under pressure. So it was obviously time for a new turbo. I did some looking around and decided I was going to go with an upgrade. MJM turbos had fair prices and I liked how he said it was a "stock fit". Yeah right, the only stock thing about the whole job was the exhaust manifold connection. So about 7 months and a lot of money later I finally have it back on the road and she runs better than ever. So here is a brief photo journal of the process.

The Shiro about to go under the blade:

While I was at it I plugged that pesky pop off valve:

I was unable to get the steering column out, so I was forced to bring the turbo through the top...luckly I don't have any A/C anymore!

As you probobly guessed many other things were done during this process, removing the AC was just one of many(It didn't work anymore anyways):

The stock turbo:

The token wastegate/turbine picture:

The sad "low boost producing" stock compressor wheel:

The Shiro awaits her new lung:

It finally arrived! I had no idea what I was in for.

New compressor wheel:

Linked for hugeness/awesomeness:

Wasn't as easy as it might look, but I got it in there non the less:

I apologize the I don't have any pictures of the final product. But it is back on the road and sounds and runs great. I had it to 14psi the other day and the shiro was loving it. If you are thinking of purchasing this turbo, just remember there is much work involved in installing it. Much to my chagrin, I didn' find out that it was not a "stock fit" until long after I had bought it. I had many custom flanges made and had to rotate the compressor housing just so it wouldn't rub the frame. then I bent wastegate actuator bracket to the right angle and spend days adjusting that and tweaking the actuator to get it perfect. The intake was another beast all together, had to weld a angled steal piece and get new couplers. Then I used 3" high temp silicone elbows that barely fit and took days of cutting and tweaking to get right. Also, braided lines are expensive. But all in all it is a great turbo and the car runs incredibly good. Next is a CM exhaust and an intercooler. I will try to get some pictures up of the final product here shortly so you can see the intake.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No intercooler, as stated above I plan to do that after I get a new exhaust, since mine is pretty beat up and of stock size. As far as the Fuel system, the injectors are stock until the funds allow otherwise. But there is a walbro fuel pump and Z32 fuel filter. And yes, the turbine is stock size matched with a .50 T04E Garrett compressor.

Post Edited (Jun 13, 12:02pm)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock fuel system is good to about 15psi and I use 94 octane gas and have had no trouble. I will be adding an intercooler before I go any higher though.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
it's good to 15psi on a stock turbo maybe. But with an upgraded turbo, it shouldn't be able to keep the same 15psi becuase there will be more air flowing into the engine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know what to tell you man, you don't have to believe it. But it was at 14psi and still going strong, and like I said before, there is a walbro fuel pump that probobly doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yeah, do u have a air/fuel ratio guage? cause i bet its runnin lean, better turn that boost down or ur gonna have alot more work ahead when u start melting pistons lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't turn the boost down, but I have only had it up that high once. usually I keep it under 8psi.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Be very careful and some links

Don't boost that pretty baby. As everyone has said you will run lean with boost. Get the fuel upgraded plus IC then up the boost.

Contact Ashe for the new z31 zemulator:

http://ashspecz.com/contact/contact.htm

Last I heard he was looking for 88T ecus to program for. That and larger injectors will be the cheapest route. The JWT450 is the other option
Also contact TSS / Dan & Mary in New York for help.
See http://thespecshop.com/

See: http://z31.com/tfaq/

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I am contacting that Ashe fellow now. the fuel system will be the first thing I will do after I get a new exhaust. But as I said before, the wastegate actuator I have does not open until 14 psi, so I can't exactly turn down the boost. I am however keeping it low while I drive, I have been trying to keep it under 8.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Intercooler is not going to make the tune any richer. It will help with detenation a bit but if anything you will need to tune richer still. If you don't want to invest the time and money on a full standalone, try a APEXi AFC on the car to push the injection time a bit on the top end of the power band. You can also adjust the lenth of the actuator rod to put less pressue on the wastegate door to lower the boost. But what fun is in that. I got a nice catback mandrel bent exhaust for that car, with Magnaflow 3" muffler for about $500.00 if your interested. Car looks good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.