ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad in the paper yesterday for a "1985 240Z". Well curiousity got the best of me and after a little discussiononthe car, I found it to be a 1980 280ZX. The lady was asking $500 and described the car to be running but needing a lot fo work. Well I went ot look at it and found the car to be actually much better than I expected. Straight body with one place of rust around the windshield and a small place at the right tail light. The tires were pretty much shot but holding air at least. The leather interior is pretty much shot although the passenger seat is actually in very good shape. It needs a headliner, carpet,etc, etc, etc. It is showing 201,556 miles. Well to make a long story short, I paid offered the lady $100 for it (she said she just wanted to get rid of it and was very negotiable). I figured it would make a good parts car for a future project. I loaded it on the trailer and brought it home. I installed a new battery and it cranked on the first try. I let it idle a little while while checking everything out and then decided that I would just see if it would drive. I was amazed at the power and smoothness of the engine. The 5 speed shifted effortlessly with no grinding or noise of any kind. The car drove extremely well. Everything is working on the car except the center gauges and none of them work so I am assuming it to be an electrical problem. All of a sudden my parts car has become my new project car.

Now here is the question. I have found that parts do not appear as readily available as they are for my 260. Who are the good suppliers out there?

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Dang why cant I find deals like that? Every old 280ZX I look at are total rust buckets, and they usualy want 8 or 9 hundered dollars. And people around here think early Zs are made of gold. I was looking at a black 78 rusted really bad with holes in every body panel. Take a wild guess what he wanted for it, you'd think 4 or 5 hundered bucks would kill it but he wanted $1,500!!!!!

Justin T
1980 280ZX

·
Registered
571 Posts
Congratulations Robert

**** now you can drop 2 grand into it and make it new again.
In Florida boneyards all we have is 280ZX cars to pick the meat off.
When you find one go hog wild and take everything you can get.
I have collected many of the little clock knobs, the little cones.
This is something that you must take for you as well as helping a friend whom is coneless. I lost my clock knob and was without for years and now I can set my clock effortlessly like I need to do today. Take every little plastic thing you can.
Nice unrusted screws and bolts, original tie wraps and all the tire air cans you can.
They just charge me about 3 dollars for a bucket of the little parts.

BTW can we refill those air cans?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Re: Center Gauges??

Oil pressure and Clock are on the same circuit as Cigar Lighrter. Check the fuses and clean / replace them.

Sounds like you got a great deal.

Wayne Monteath

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi robert,
Gee wizz I thought I got when I payed $175 For my '77 280Z which hadden't run in three years. Great deal, now take Madeline's advice and cheery that thing out! Good job you lucky stiff! Zee to infinity and beyound...Bert

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey you got a decent deal. I also did too. I picked up a 83 280zx turbo for $1000 canadian currency. It has four new tires,new brakes, new exhuast, very clean interior and only a little spot of rust on the rear wheel fender. The only down fall is that i have to buy the computer but thats all i have to do because my buddy has the same car and i took his ecu and tested the car before i bought it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great find!!! I was in the same boat about 5 yrs ago.. I found a 280 zx, fully loaded with 130,00 km on it for 500.00..Its runs great and this year the wife learned how to drive it...(ouch)..I guess ill have to wrestle her for it....LOL.. Good luck in your adventures youll love the car

Gzx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.