ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there has been a recent rash in posts of i/c questions, im gunna put up my pics and explain how i put mine in.

my total cost = $127

&50(i/c) + 35(endtank modification) + 12(2 mandrel bent J pipes) + 30(silicon connectors/reducer

the whole thing was fairly simple. I found a starion i/c(16 row) for 50$ and snagged it up. The lower inlet, as it is stock, points to the front of the intercooler. I didn't want to have to route in a 180 degree bend in my i/c piping, so i had a local speed shop cut off the top and weld it so it points in the same direction as the long tube. my only problem i have with the starion intercooler is the actual inlet tubing size, @ 1 3/4" it just seems to small but i know people using them with 300 rwhp so I figured it would be sufficient.

The first thing I did was to mount the actual intercooler in the front of the car. I thought this may pose a problem as I have the a/c condenser up front, but it didnt. I rested the bottom of the i/c on the long "thing"(sorry for my technical terms). I then bent up brackets from steel and mounted them along the verticle horn support

I then cut out most of the driver side radiator support using a sawzaw, which made quick work of the metal. i took enough out to allow for 2 2" tubes and some play to allow for positioning of the pipes.

i thought piping it might actually be a real PITA, buit it wasn't too complicated. my total piping consists of 5 parts, 3 on the bottom and 2 on the top(TB to ic).

This all goes together with good hose clamps and voila, instant intercooler.

Boost went from 8.5 psi to 6ish, for a 2.5psi pressure drop which isnt bad. Performance is definately better, i recommend doing this for anyone. Along with my 3.9 rearend, my car has really turned into a screamer.

Scott
www.flex.net/~mgwilson
http://communities.msn.com/ZTFerrari

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here it is with WORKING pictures

Since there has been a recent rash in posts of i/c questions, im gunna put up my pics and explain how i put mine in.

my total cost = $127

&50(i/c) + 35(endtank modification) + 12(2 mandrel bent J pipes) + 30(silicon connectors/reducer

the whole thing was fairly simple. I found a starion i/c(16 row) for 50$ and snagged it up. The lower inlet, as it is stock, points to the front of the intercooler. I didn't want to have to route in a 180 degree bend in my i/c piping, so i had a local speed shop cut off the top and weld it so it points in the same direction as the long tube. my only problem i have with the starion intercooler is the actual inlet tubing size, @ 1 3/4" it just seems to small but i know people using them with 300 rwhp so I figured it would be sufficient.

The first thing I did was to mount the actual intercooler in the front of the car. I thought this may pose a problem as I have the a/c condenser up front, but it didnt. I rested the bottom of the i/c on the long "thing"(sorry for my technical terms). I then bent up brackets from steel and mounted them along the verticle horn support

I then cut out most of the driver side radiator support using a sawzaw, which made quick work of the metal. i took enough out to allow for 2 2" tubes and some play to allow for positioning of the pipes.

i thought piping it might actually be a real PITA, buit it wasn't too complicated. my total piping consists of 5 parts, 3 on the bottom and 2 on the top(TB to ic).

This all goes together with good hose clamps and voila, instant intercooler

Boost went from 8.5 psi to 6ish, for a 2.5psi pressure drop which isnt bad. Performance is definately better, i recommend doing this for anyone. Along with my 3.9 rearend, my car has really turned into a screamer.

Scott
www.flex.net/~mgwilson

http://communities.msn.com/ZTFerrari

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Re: here it is with WORKING pictures

i cant stop staring at this post :)

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Questions

One info related:
1) What year Starion do these ICs come off of.
Now the dumbos
An intercooler cools down the air charge, right? So basically outside air goes through it and is cooled? So if I read the photos right, you got incoming air going through the IC and into the throttle body. Where/why does the other tube go to the turbo? It looks almost like a closed loop — where does it suck air in?

Obviously, I don't have much experience with ICs.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Heres the skinny....

An intercooler is basicly a radiator for your Chraged air. The turbo sucks in the air chagres it, then the charged air goes out to the intercooler(instead of the TB), circulates through the I/C(as out side air passes through) and gets cooled down, then the now cooler air comes out the other side and goes into the TB.

Justin T

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Heres the skinny....

Sorry, i forgot to explain how i did my airfilter. Before my i/c, i had a 3" tube going out in front of my radiator into a K&N cone filter. With the i/c, i didn't have room for 2=2" pipes and a 3" pipe, so i just connected my afm right before my turbo, then i put a small 6" cone filter right onto the afm. it all sits right ontop of my a/c copmressor. Ill get pics of it when i get around to it, not feeling to well right now. Cya gyus

Scott

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Re: Questions

I think it's 86-89 Mitsu Starion or Chrysler Conquest and they're basically the same car. SupraTT ic's are even better with more flow and more efficient. Series 4 RX-7 Trust ic's are good too as are Subaru WRX ic's but not much chance of getting one of those.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: My idiots guide to the starion I/C installatio

what did you do with the vacuum regulator and why did you mount the bov away from the throttle body? Also what other mods did you do the intake manifold, Can I have a pic and a description of what vacuum line to where they go? And finally how fast are you? Because those pistons can take a least 14psi just be careful of detonation and also did you remove the pop off valve.

tbs

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
2 more questions

where did you get such good prices on the ic and the piping?
did you have a bead rolled on the pipe ends to prevent hoses blowing off or did you make something up yourself?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 2 more questions

I got the intercooler from a classified i saw online. The piping i bought at a speed shop, you can get it at SummitRacing as well. The one peice of straight 2" piping I just had lying around, you can buy that stuff for like $1 a foot at an exhaust shop. I didnt put a bead or anything around the connections, but i did rough it up with sandpaper. I dont know if this actually helps but its better than nothing i suppose. Ive only had my pipe pop off once and that was when my boost spiked to 18 psi and before i sandpapered it. cya

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Re: 2 more questions

Cool, thanks for the info.Nice job too. I wish someone would do that for z31's. Maybe I will.Theres a guy over there on our board who will sell an aluminized piping kit for $300. but I think I could do it in stainless for that price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.