ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a porsche 924. Its not the turbo version so it seems to be needing some more balls. Could someone tell me a supplier of turbo/supercharger kits? its just a fou cyl. so going with an n/a tuneup sounds like too much money for too little improvement.

BTW I am a Z guy ('73, hoping to be L28turbo'd soon), but my good friend has the porsche and I need some worthy competition :)

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wanted a 944turbo, but couldn't find insurance i could afford, so i but my 72 240z. those n/a 924s are pieces of crap in my opinion though. i believe they put vw engines in them, so i dont think he'd be able to compete with a z. have him look into getting a turbo engine, preferably a 944turbo. there should be plenty of wrecked ones around. check the junkyards in your area, and try contacting shops to see if they could locate one for you. he could even upgrade the engine before putting it in. 300+ hp in a little 924 would be fun...well, at least look into stock 944turbo engines. hope i could help. any more Qs, just reply to this\

Brian '72 240

·
Registered
345 Posts
Brian is right, those 924 came with VW engine.But in 87-88 there was different model 924S wich came with 944 engine, if your friend need to increase HP engine swap from this model would be the cheapest one.Forget about 924 turbo, those were made only in 80-82 total of 5845 sold in US,these cars had 150hp which was same as in 924S,plus turbo 924 has high maintenance cost.Next step would be selling 924 and getting 944 turbo,which is awesome car for money you can get it.I saw couple of adds here in LA,CA from 6K to 15K,so you have wide range ,but good one could be found for 8K, and for this money you get 0-60 5.7 and 1/4 in 13,5 fast ha?If you are lucky you can get one of 88-89 944Turbo S models which are little bit faster,and have other modifications.If you get 944 turbo,then you can swap 6spd tranny out of 968 ,which is good way tyo update your car, and then you can contact PowerHouse in AZ www.powerhaus.com and let them do their magic work.Also if you will end up with 944 t remeber to take out thermostat,because these cars used to run hot.

·
Registered
887 Posts
AUDI, not VWs

·
Registered
345 Posts
The 924 engine was an adaption of the AUDI 100 engine.It was developed by VW for this car,a VW light van ,and for sale to other manufatures.The engine was 1984cc and made 95hp for US market.These engines were reliable but rough running.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also own a 78 924
they can run real good but will not give a z a good run in straight line
although on a twisty country road I would rather run my 924
cause the weight distribution is better car is lighter
you can transplant 944 running gear into a 924
with the engine though you have to get computer and wiring harness and all
trans requires axles and tourqe tube I believe
86 924s was a 924 shell with all 944 running gear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts