ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's side doorlock on my 77 280 Z no longer works. the key turns but does not pop the lock up all the way. I took the lock out of the door and the metal on the lock that turns the arm is worn away. Where can I get a replacement for a decent price for both doors so they are keyed the same? (MSA and Victoria British want a fortune.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ah yes, the 'ol rounded off lead lock thingy's....I just ran into the same problem wiht my 78....driverside door no go up...EXPENSIVE AS **** to get new ones through anyone. You know what works.....flip the drives & passenger side locks...the part that wears out on the driversside is the part that hardly gets used on the passenger side....just 2 weeks ago I flipped mine and all is well...both locks work good now....basically, what was the "unlock" mechanism on the driverside lock is now the "lock" mechanism on the passenger side...hardly gets used...all you have to do is take the locks out, keep the little "arms" from the lock on the same side of the car you took it off, and put them on the lock from the other side....easy once you get in there and check em out. It's so nice to not have to climb through the hatch to unlock the door...what a pain in the ass.
chris

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I read someplace else, possibly here about people using J B Weld to restore the metal that has eroded from the lock.

Since the key mechanism is still good, and it's only the part where the little metal tap attaches to the mechanism, you may be able to restore it.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wrote a post about door locks a while back and if you look up my handle in the archives maybe 4 months ago or so you should find it. I had just bought new locks from MSA for my 76 and had my locksmith rekey them all to one key. While there he asked me what I had paid and when I told him said I should have seen him sooner. He says that he deals with a company out of Seattle that has been buying up the old tooling for locks from auto companies for years and makes NOS replacement locks for most older cars including the Z. I think he said my cost would have been like 40 a lock. Anyway, check the post and if it is not there then see a locksmith who does a lot of auto work, check the phone book, or talk to a car dealer and ask who they use and then call that guy.

Hope this helps ya........

Charles

·
Registered
171 Posts
my z was having door locking troubles, but it was really simple. you may have tried this already, but all i had to do was to spin the little locking thing around untill one tooth pointed horizontally towards the car, and one pointed almost straight down. worth a try

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
i went to pep boys the other day, and in the rice section, they have some kind of universal door locks that use those round keys like for a coke machine!!! it looked pretty cool i thought. the only bad thing is that it had a trim ring around the keyhole that had that APC logo(ricer brand) they were pretty cheap though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.