ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is idling very rough, with thick black smoke and the plugs are wet with oil and or fuel. whats wrong with it?

· Registered
433 Posts
It's time for the fun rebuild!! But if you do I suggest that you beef up your engine's power.

tbs

· Registered
426 Posts
Thick black smoke is a rich condition. You do NOT need to rebuild the engine. It is likely the engine temperature sensor, or a bad connection at the sensor. If the sensor is bad, or disconnected, the ECU thinks the engine is extremely cold and richens the mixture. Other possible causes of a rich mixture: leaky injectors or a leaky cold start valve, possibly the air flow meter, but not likely.

By the way, black smoke is a rich mixture, blue smoke is burning oil, and white smoke (steam) is vaporized coolant (i.e. blown head gasket).

Good luck,

Dave

· Registered
104 Posts
I have a 1990 Lexus 250 that I changed the oil and filter on about a month ago. After changing the oil, all was well. I changed the air filter and the idle went bad. Bad went to worse, but it turns out the problem was the intake boot from the AFM to the throttle body was brittle and cracked open at the bottom. I could not believe that tht was the problem but for the most part it was. I also had some black smoke at idle (not really thick but more than I like to see). I just want to say check it out before you tear the engine down. Good luck.

Gary

· Registered
2,156 Posts
007 drove a car like yours

aston martin.. it laid down an oil slick and could fog up 2 lanes
pretty cool actually.
i myself loved my datsun diesel truck. whenever i had someone tailgating
close ide just floorboard it and poof he would be fogged in and hopefully
had his fresh air vents on

· Registered
30 Posts
I thought the same thing, but was told that it was rich as well, easy way to tell is to look at the plugs again and see if they are wet, if they are, do they stink of gas? dap it with your finger and rub it between forefinger and thumb, i found a huge difference in viscosity in oil and gas (kinda obvious I guess-but still)

bad news was it toasted my new plugs fuel fouling sucks especially when it costs you 6 plugs instead of 4 --man, I sound cheap

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my car doesnt suck anymore!!!

WHOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Frickin temperature sensor! I replaced the connections on that and im listening to her purr now! no more caughin, no more black smoke! Yipppeeeee! now just gotta get my air regulator replaced, cuz it doesnt work. on to the thermotime switch connections! I love my car again!!!!! thanks everyone!

· Registered
10 Posts
heater ductwork

78 280z we've got a plastic pin on the drivers side of the "for lack of proper term" heater box that supports the linkage for operating a damper that diverts air from heat to defrost. Short story that pin is broken off so the damper..short of replacing this whole box unit has anyone got a fix for this? Would b nice to b able to drive the car in the morning without a rag to wipe the winshield. If we get this fixed A/C is on the list before spring. popeye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.