ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh.... my car seems to be nothing but problems. I need a new cylinder head, and everytime it rains water leaks inside. But here is my CURRENT problem:

Lately when I start my car (1980 280zx 5-spd), usually when it is cold, instead of starting, it makes the loudest, most terrible noise. It sounds like the flywheel jams against the starter or something. The engine doesn't turn over and the noise is insanely loud (sucks when it happens in parking lot where I work at, everybody jumps!) Then I let it sit for 2-5 seconds, and it starts fine. When it makes this noise, it sounds like its TRYING to start. But like I said, it doesn't turn, it sounds like the starter is trying to turn a concrete wall. This doesn't happen EVERY time I start it cold, but I'd say 30% of the time.

I am about to take it to my mechanics (we're friends and they'll diagnose for free). But I was wondering if you guys have ever heard of this.

This car is PISSING ME OFF! My engine sucks, tranny needs syncros, interior is torn up, P.O. had crappy body work done (read: BONDO) with cheap paint job, now there's rust bubbles coming up everywhere, needs alignment SO BAD, and now it has trouble starting! AGHGHH!

Sorry for the incredibly long post; i needed to vent really bad.

David

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
your starter is going bad, or the flywheel ring gear is bad, or the gear is called something else if you have a automatic tranny. Get a new starter and if that doesnt fix it , then you need the ring gear replaced.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If most of the people on this board had only that wrong with their cars they would be most happy people in the world. The things that you have wrong are easy and cheap to fix, just be willing to get a little greasy!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.