ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It rocks back and forth hard when I try to start of in first gear :( i almost get whiplash, I think it's the clutch.. but the only thing wrong with that is that my car doesn't rock when I start in 2nd gear. I think there is something wrong with my first gear because i only have problems shifting to that gear, and even downshifting into first takes quite alot of effort. Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
well for one, you arnt supposed to put the car into 1st gear unless the car is stopped man. as far as the rockin I dunno my cars only did that when I was first learning to drive stick when I was 16 years old. anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My car does that right now, but only because I've just got a new racing clutch and am completely not used to it....lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
sounds like it could be in your throttle. maybe a lope. in second it would be under a different strain so it would react different to the gas pedal.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
sportdriverGT : What are you talking about? Only shift to 1st gear when stopped...are you stupid? Are you saying I can't downshift from second to first? Tell me exactly why that is...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took my car to the OK Tire people and they said that my clutch and tranny are good, and that it's an engine problem. BTW It's more of a buck than a rocking..

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
domdog: why dont you know what yer talkin about before you start inferring insults.

·
Registered
163 Posts
mine bucks sometimes and ive always wondered about that because I've driven a few civics and a few 5.0 mustangs and they dont do that...it usually does it to me when im drivin pretty slow and i let out on the clutch...after the pedal is completely let out when i touch the gas (sometimes), no matter how slightly, the car bucks....is there a problem w/ our cars? or is it our driving?
btw i downshift into first sometimes like in traffic jams or somethin when second gear will jerk (idk under 8mph of so) and its NEVER done it to me in first its usually in second..just so ya know it happens to me too and i have no clue why
_James_

·
Registered
136 Posts
BUCKING IN FIRST

I had the mysterious bucking problem for over a year. Hit the gas hard in first and it would buck like a wild horse. Shift it into second gear and the problem would go away. I changed out all kinds of parts and it was still there.

One day I went out and decided to remove the intake piping to clean the TB and I found my problem pretty quick. The rubber piping with the ribs in it had a small crack in it between the ribs. My drivers side motor mount was bad and it caused the ribs to open up in first gear when the engine was flexing. It would then suck in a huge amount of unmetered air. As the engine stalls the rib would close the air leak. This process repeats until you either let off the gas, or shift to a higher gear.

Take yours out and flex it open. I bet you will either find a hole or the beginnings of one. I went to a plumbing supply store with my old one and found a perfect replacement for like $4.00 or so. I also replaced the motor mount and no more flexing. I would recommend this to anyone who still has the orginal 20 year old rubber in there. A lot of these odd problems that people post about are caused by air leaks between the afm and throttle body or a vacuum leak after it.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: BUCKING IN FIRST

I just took out my intake hoses and checked the rubber seals, didn't find any crack or rips but some of the clamps holding the seals on were very loose. I tightend them all then took her for a test drive and it WORK! :D... for about 10 minutes then it started to buck again :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.