ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just recieved my email from Kevin at Majestic Turbo . He has informed me that they recieved my money order . I can't wait to get that monster hair dryer (turbo). You have been very helpful to me and I hope as I get a little more experience I can help others out .

I plan to take pictures of my installation of an 81 ZXT into my 78 280Z . I will clearly document all of the steps to allow just about any backyard mechanic to do this swap . I will tell al the problems I run into and the cost of the entire project . The page will likely be donated to IZCC and if this .My project is intended to be a low budget low 13 to high 12's in 1/4 mile . My coworker spent $4000 Canadian on a 350 transfer into his 83 Camaro, this includes exhaust and minor things no one ever mentions . So far I have put $1100 CDN for turbo and $250 for motor and all engine management . This page should be done after summer, the conversion looks very simple from the research I have done . Just to let you know I could have had a stock ZXT motor with turbo in for about $600 CDN or $400 US a fairly cheap alternative to a V8 and way less fabrication time, and way more bang for the buck than any parts for my naturally aspirated Z . This is only my opinion and I do have good aguments for it .

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Glad to hear your turbo is being sent. Remember, you will need to remove the current studs from your manifold and replace them with longer ones to fit the thicker turbine flange. Also, make sure you match the metal gaskets to the shim I provided. Also, you will want to grind your manifold to match the shim. You do not want any type of lip going into the turbo, this will only restrict flow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
> Glad to hear your turbo is being sent.
> Remember, you will need to remove the
> current studs from your manifold and replace
> them with longer ones to fit the thicker
> turbine flange. Also, make sure you match
> the metal gaskets to the shim I provided.
> Also, you will want to grind your manifold
> to match the shim. You do not want any type
> of lip going into the turbo, this will only
> restrict flow.

One other thing... maybe you already know this, but be sure to use prevailing torque style nuts on those new studs. These are the ovalled style nut, any they are much less likely to back out after a few heat cycles and vibration. While you probably won't find these at the hardware store, any decent fastener supplier should be able to provide them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
What he is talking about are deformed thread nuts. They may not be available readily, may have to be ordered. They are actually NAS (Navy), or even the airforce nuts will work, basically the same other than number. They are NOT the nylon locking type. We use them on space craft at work, use them once, throw them away. hard to get on. very good though, will not back off.
Joshua L.

They are a little pricy, but only by a couple bucks, they are worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.