ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 280Z I have put about 4 grand in making this car what it is. The problem is it has some sort of electrical problem. I have put on a new starter
a new voltage regulator new battery, and i had the alternator checked. At first the problem was that it just wouldn't hold a charge. After I fixed all of those problems it just wouldn't turn over. The battery is now dead and I'm beginning to give up.
I've had one person tell me it was the wiring another said the computer and another said the fly wheel. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
mine drove me nuts until I found that my brake lights stayed on all the time/ a piece of plastic had fallen out from a hole in the brake pedal. more info if you need it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
sounds like something is staying on that drains the battery
try taking out all the fuses in the fusebox and slowly add the fuses
one by one until you find the phantom load
feel relays for heat.. jiggle wiring harness blocks. datsun harnesses
are good at having the wires wiggling out of their plastic connectors

·
Registered
881 Posts
are you saying that...

It will turn over with a charge but just won't hold one? If so i'd make a home made current light (basically a light bulb on a couple of aligator clips or something) and when the engine is of and the current is gone start seeing where you have power and where you dont. A haynes or FSM will help here immensely as it will give wire colors and show whats attached to who where. This should be a good way to start. If nothing else, just disconnect the battery when your gone. I have a similar gremlin in my 260 at times and just gave up and said, oh well disconnect the battery for the sake of the battery when i'm not here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi dallas,
I have a 77 280Z with F.I.. You didn't say if yours was N/A or F.I. but here are some things that I've found with mine. If the fuseable link from the battery to the starter is corroded the engine will crank but won't fire. If the fusable links that are mounted on the inside (engine) of the passenger side fender ( there are four of them ) are corroded the engine will fire but not run for any length of time. Hope this is of some help.....Z ya!.... Bert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.