ZCar Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1977 280Z Manual
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Alright so it's been a while since I posted much progress. My short block is at the machine shop and hopefully I'll get a call to learn what the damage will be to recondition it. In the meantime, I've been reassembling the head.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Road surface Synthetic rubber

Brown Packing materials Amber Wood Font

Yep, got me a brand new OEM camshaft. Why a new one? Well you saw how it looked even after being cleaned. All those pits on the lobes. Here it is installed with the old one:

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Engineering Folk instrument Water

(Yes, that's a tribble.)

And now the new rocker arms are all installed, valve lash adjusted and retainer springs on.

Cylinder Camshaft Gas Automotive air manifold Differential

Warning: The book How to Rebuild your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine has an error in the photo on page 111.

Font Art Office supplies Paper Engineering

The text on page 109 is correct, and here it is from the Factory Service Manual:

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Symmetry

Once I get my block back, I can finally put this puppy back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1977 280Z Manual
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The machine shop still has my engine block, and with the amount of work they have I have a feeling we'll be well into Summer before I see it again. In the meantime, may as well keep fixing rust.

That replacement panel looks good, but I'll need to temporarily reinstall the hood so I can be sure and get the hinge bolt holes drilled in the right place. (Only one of them survived replacing that section.)

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior

After that... The core support. Which I'm not looking forward to.

Grille Hood Automotive tire Road surface Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille Wheel

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Bumper Hood

61 - 66 of 66 Posts