Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Author: OnZMark (206.99.136.---)
Date: Oct 28, 10:34pm

My 280ZX runs way to rich ......... I put an 82 flat top piston engine in my older 280ZX. The car runs ok at a low acceleration rate, but when i go over 3200rpms at full throttle i get way too much gas (the engine surges and does not run well). I can see black smoke in my mirror and i have carbon fouled 2 sets of plugs in the last 500 miles of driving.
I used the wireing harness out of a 79 zx, also the resistor block, the cpu and adaped the electrically controled bccv to the 82 engine . I did not change the fuel injectors on the 82 engine.
The engine does well until i push the pedal down far enough to close the contacts on the high trottle side, that is when i get way too much gas.
Any ideas ? I could change the complete fuel injection unit to match the 79 harness .......... or just change the injectors to match the resistor block / cpu ?
Or maybe the problem is in the mixture control on the Mass Air Sensor ? **** I don't know ............... Anybody have a carborator set up ? (a distributor with points too ?) I should install a small block chev and never worry about electronics again ! Would like to get the car to run right. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Which afm are you using? If 82, I would try the 79 afm. I'm not sure that the 82 afm is compatable w/the 79 ecu. BTW the mixture control on the afm is just for IDLE mixture adjustments and has a very small range, is just used to trim the mixture for idle emissions. Has anyone fiddled with the spring tension on the afm? Have you checked fuel pressure? Perhaps if you used the f/p reg on the 82 it may have different specs than the 79. (Don't hold me to it, but I believe there are some differences in how the f/p is controlled between early and late ZX)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.