ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 280ZX turbo, and when it idles it seems to want to stall and die out. and sometimes when i think its gonna stall i apply a little more gas and then i hear a 'pop', almost like a backfire or something from where the Air Filter is. This has even been as extreme that i have been driving and the car 'Pops' and then no matter how hard i hit the gas the car starts to decelerate and stall completely. I then have to try and turn the car over about 4-5 times before it actually starts. I have already changed out the Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, PCV, Replaced majority of the Vaccum hoses and Fuel hoses. Please help me with my problem.
Jeff.

· Registered
1,784 Posts
What you are describing sounds like a BIG vacuum leak. I suggest you check the intake boot between the AFM and the turbo for openings, especially in the pleats.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the line that is between the AFM and the Turbocharger unit. There are no noticable holes, infact, it looks to be almost brand new, as well as the the other hoses branching from it. could it just be that my AFM is bad?

· Registered
996 Posts
As soon as the car quits, look at your tach needle to see if its dropping slowly with the car speed or if it drops "like a rock" quickly to zero. When you try to restart, does the tach needle "bounce"? What year is your ZXT?
The '81's were prone to crank angle sensor failure. You may have more than one issue, one might be a vacuum leak (how's your idle? Does your rpm drop suddenly if you remove the oil fill plug at idle?) while another might be impending ignition failure. Have you cleaned all your connections, including those at the ecu? Have you checked your sensors like the fsm recommends?
Dan

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tach drops like a rock, and when i try to restart it the tach bounces, but it doesnt go higher than 600RPMS.My 280ZX is an 81 model. I am still doing some work on it so i'll give you the heads up on the connections and everything else.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! unfortunately, its an expensive part. I found out that my Turbocharger was the cause of it all. I guess the turbines weren't working right so the exhaust was just backing up and backfiring. Now, i have another question, where do i find another Turbocharger unit?
Jeff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.