1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an ‘82 280zx turbo

issue:
When revving the engine it misfires, sputters, bogs around low rpm and at zero vacuum.

symptoms:
— 5 cylinders have Fouled plugs, black on ceramic area. 1 cylinder plug looks completely normal (this cylinder is the only one with a new injector)
— engine runs perfect with cylinder head temp sensor unplugged
—engine does not make boost at any rpm
—Very occasional pinging/popping from engine with more aggressive revving.

Things I’ve fixed:
—new cylinder head temp sensor
—new o2 sensor
—cleaned all connections to the best of my ability
—compression test dry 140 at all cylinders
—vacuum test is 18 at idle
—new plugs
—new pcv valve
—new AFM
—new FPR (27 at idle, but is adjustable so I can alter if suggested)
—cold air intake
—new fuel filter
—tested Throttle position sensor, 0 unless throttle pressed
—injectors all “ticking” with screwdriver test

Any recommendations would be very helpful! I know this has been covered In some regard however the one odd cylinder is a doozy along with no boost condition.

Thanks in advanced!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have mentioned this in other posts recently, as it's a new trick for me. But since it's free and takes only minutes, why not try it? You've covered a lot of things already.

My '83 ZX Turbo was missing above 3500 RPM. I fought it for months. Finally Zmanofwashington suggested I completely unplug the ECU for more than 15 minutes, then re-connect it and see if it runs better. I did this (disconnected the battery before unplugging the ECU) and let it sit for 30 minutes unplugged. It completely solved my problem; it's essentially a hard reset on the ECU.

I didn't have the other symptoms with plug fouling, etc. But it's free and only takes a few minutes to try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have mentioned this in other posts recently, as it's a new trick for me. But since it's free and takes only minutes, why not try it? You've covered a lot of things already.

My '83 ZX Turbo was missing above 3500 RPM. I fought it for months. Finally Zmanofwashington suggested I completely unplug the ECU for more than 15 minutes, then re-connect it and see if it runs better. I did this (disconnected the battery before unplugging the ECU) and let it sit for 30 minutes unplugged. It completely solved my problem; it's essentially a hard reset on the ECU.

I didn't have the other symptoms with plug fouling, etc. But it's free and only takes a few minutes to try it.
thank you! I’ll give that a try, I know there can be some gremlins with funky ECU connections/wiring etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
if the connector looks corroded, blast it with some caig de-oxit or another contact cleaner before you plug it back in
The best thing I ever did was to convert to 1984 turbo FI harness and computer.If I remember correctly it's only 4 wire hookup.Never had anymore issues with afm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts